1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Error connecting to wi-fi and whistling noise

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Erica Lindström, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Erica Lindström

Erica Lindström New Member

Just tried to print a test print on my R2 an it seems OK. I can't really say since I have never used a 3D printer before.
    First layer of filament curls on the bed but final result seems fine.
    When I try to connect the printer to my wi-fi I just get an error, is there anything I can do to get my printer to connect to my wi-fi? The password is correct, tried on my iPhone. The connection shown on the display of the printer is 2/3. That should be enough, right?
    When I start (power-up) the printer I hear a whisteling noice, is that normal?

2. colton81

colton81 Active Member

The whistling noise could be from the fan inside the printer does it whistle the entire time or just for a little while and then stops? I had issued on my C2 with wifi not connecting try rebooting several times until it connects or try to temporarily move the printer closer to the router connect it then move it back and see if that works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. colton81

colton81 Active Member

As far as curling up do you have any pictures? Shouldn't really curl with PLA if thats what your printing with. Make sure the heated bed is on and working properly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

Your R2's included sample files should include a spiral test. You might start there and take a good look at the quality of the first layer that it lays down. It should be a nice, wide line that's squashed flat (if you look closely at it sideways), but not skirted on the sides like it's starting to form an extruded "u" shape.

From your workstation, see if you can ping the printer by name:

ping serial-number.local

(If the printer successfully connected to your wi-fi then it will advertise its name on your network.) Alternately, you might remote into your network's wi-fi router and look for the latest device that's been added (often the highest IP number in the range). You might then use that address:

ping 192.168.0.14 (for example)

If either of these succeed, test with ssh or putty to see if you can connect:

ssh pi@serial-number.local (password raspberry)

If you can, then your printer is connected to your wi-fi at least.

And yet, it's possible that your printer is connected to your wi-fi but it can't connect to the Internet. Note sure what you're saying about "2/3", btw.

5. Erica Lindström

Thank you for the replies. Sorry to say nothing helps. I have tried rebooting and moving the R2 next to the router, nothing.
    I dont understand how to "ping", never done it. I have a iMac and MacBook Air.
    The curling I was refering to was how the first layer of PLA was placed on the bed (see picture).
    The 2/3 is the wi-Fi network connection strength shown on the screen of the printer.
    The ssh and putty does not mean anything to me that I understand.
    I have now connected a network cable from my router to my printer, it seems it's the only way I can get an update. Does this now mean that I have to use USB sticks when I want to print a .stl file I have bought?

Attached Files:

#5 Erica Lindström, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  6. OutsourcedGuru

I use my MacBook for all this.

From some tutorial page like this one...
    Finder -> Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal

ping serial-number.local

Note here that when I say "serial-number", you're expected to look at the label on the back of your printer and use that instead of the words "serial-number".

As for how to interpret ping's responses, here's a page for that. You're looking for success in sending packets to the printer and them coming back to you.

You would enter Ctl-C to stop the ping command. (Hold down the Ctl key and press the C key once.) When you're done with your Terminal session, just close that window.

As a beginner myself who owns a Robo C2 (no heated bed), then I always use a raft. So since I use Cura to slice the STL file into a GCODE file, I make sure there's a checkbox in the Print Build Plate Adhesion box. A raft kind of looks like one. It's a perhaps seven-layer bit of plastic wider than your part which gives a good foundation to it. I'm not sure if your example would look great with a raft, however. (You're expected to break the raft away from your part and due to the fragility of yours, it might not work out.)

That sounds like it would work fine. You didn't mention what error you get when you try to connect the printer (via its LCD screen) to your wi-fi zone.

I connect my printer to my network via wi-fi and I still use a USB drive to shuttle GCODE files to the printer, at least at the moment. I don't push files from Cura, for example.

And I use the OctoPrint web service interface after I've inserted the USB drive.

http://serial-number.local

...and it should should you the OctoPrint interface... assuming of course that you connect it to your network.

You also have the option of plugging in an Ethernet cable into the back of it to your network.

7. Erica Lindström

For the love of my life, I can't get my printer to connect to my wi-fi. Been running around and moving it all over the place and now it stands 2m opposite of my router, and still nothing.
    Any suggestions to what more I can try?

8. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

This may very well have to do with wifi channels. Different countries allow different channels on the 2.4GHz band, and depending on your country and how the R2 is set up, your network may be on a channel that the printer can't see. The usual culprit here is channel 13.

If your network is on channel 13, I'd suggest changing it to something in the 1-11 range and giving that a try.

9. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Make sure 2.4GHz WiFi is enabled on your router. The printer doesn't support 5GHz WiFi.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  10. OutsourcedGuru

There's sort of a cart-before-the-horse problem here. If you could first connect with an Ethernet cable, you could then SSH into the Raspberry Pi that's inside. You could then run "sudo raspi-config" to set the Internationalisation features which include your wi-fi country... which would in theory set the proper wi-fi signal strength (and may possible change the available wi-fi channels which it could default to).