1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Examples of how 3D printing will not "Save the World"

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by WheresWaldo, Jan 20, 2016.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

This headline just came up on 3Ders.org

HiveHaven stops production of 3D printed hives for stingless bees due to cost concerns

They had a product idea and were successfully funded on Indiegogo but could not sustain the business model as it didn't really solve a problem in the most efficient manner. The market wasn't there and using additive manufacturing wasn't disruptive enough to make any significant gains in marketshare.

3D Systems abandons Cube 3D printer, but filament users still trapped by DRM

Proprietary consumables and non-user upgradeable parts is no way to build a business. They didn't really learn from the fall to grace that Makerbot had. Proprietary consumables is something you expect from the likes of Epson, HP, Samsung, etc. not in markets where your primary customer base is early adopters.

I am sure the community here can come up with many more. I bring this up in the hope that people won't believe all the hype surrounding an emerging market that manufacturers are hoping to grow. It is no help that people like Gartner (whose job it is to be pro-media propaganda) says we are poised for exponential growth by 2019.

3D Printer Market Sales Will Exceed $14.6 billion in 2019

Let's take a step back, calm down and realize that we are in the middle of a market that may turn out just like Linux will replace Windows at the desktop. We might turn out to be the only real market that matures for 3D printing.

I am getting off my soapbox now.

Sonny's Robo3D and danzca6 like this.
  2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Just saw another ridiculous article claiming new 3D process. It is a tie manufacturer that has custom length knitted ties. Made on the same knitting machines that they were made on for decades but now it is a 3D knitted tie.

Please people stop adding 3D to every process just because it is the new buzzword!

Look dapper in these 3D knitted bespoke ties

I corrected the above title.