1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Extruder chewing up PLA like crazy

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by terpbeard, Jan 4, 2017.

1. terpbeard

terpbeard New Member

I have a new refurbished R1 + and I'm having some success with prints but also some problems. When I print anything longer than a couple hours I will begin under extruding. Once I open everything up I can see that my filament is all chewed up by the gear and there are filament shavings everywhere inside. The first time I did this there was tons of blue filament in there and I don't own any blue.

So I can clean most of the shavings out with a Q-tip and refeed my filament and print for another couple hours before having to go through the process again. I can't imagine that this is the normal process for everyone so I'm guessing something is up. I've also tried loosening or tightening the screws on the loader and it seemed to have no effect at all. I printed an oiler filter and that seemed to help at first but I think it only extended my time between clogs.

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You should do a good seasoning first then the oiler will maintain it.

You might also try a different nozzle. Sadly, PLA behaves this way and the goal is to figure out how to deal with it :)

4. terpbeard

terpbeard New Member

Ok I just tried the seasoning, I will post back with results. Is there a "better" nozzle that will provide me a smoother experience or just having a fresh one? And would I have a smoother experience printing in ABS rather than PLA? I've only used PLA so far and assumed it was more user friendly. Thanks!

5. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

I've been printing PLA for months now. After adding my oiler and refreshing the oil every roll I have had zero jams. (Knocks on wood).

I keep reading that ABS and the ROBO R1+ can be more problematic than other similar filaments.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

7. terpbeard

terpbeard New Member

So ever since I seasoned the extruder it seemed to help my problem but definitely didn't solve it. I also printed a new spool holder to reduce friction on the filament. Once I get the extruder working properly I can knock out long prints back to back easily but the problem comes once I switch filaments.

Once I change filament it starts my whole cycle of fighting the extruder all over. I have to take apart the tension springs, clean the gear with a qtip to get all the PLA shavings off of it and then load my new filament then once I close everything up and I move the gears by hand it extrudes just as it should. I start a print it acts like its printing but its laying zero filament down, then if I repeat the process of taking it apart and cleaning it a couple times I can usually just get it to go as it should.

My last couple color changes I've spent an hour plus in between finally getting it to start printing correctly and then once I do, like I said I can print and print and print zero problems. So now I'm afraid to change filament ever, I can't imagine this is how its supposed to work even with the "fixes" I've had to add and use.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You are just seasoning or are you using an oiler?

9. terpbeard

terpbeard New Member

I did both.

And after running into these problems I've tried re seasoning a couple times as well. I'm printing with Inland PLA from Microcenter.

Also everytime I pull out my filament it has gouges and chunks missing from it.

#9 terpbeard, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Might be time for a new nozzle.

As little as I like to resort to it, you might also want to try different filament.
    I dislike that approach since 99.9% of the time it is pointless. Only reason I say it is that 0.1% :)

I recently had that happen on our delta. My cheap-o generic filament (that worked fine all day on the Robos) was just failing up a storm. I finally stuck on a roll of Colorfabb and dang-me-to- heck if it didn't just work. So it is a valid test, but I would save it for last.

11. terpbeard

terpbeard New Member

My printer is only a couple weeks old, but it was a refurbished unit. Do they not clean or replace the nozzle when it is refurbished?

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You would need to ask Robo what they do to the units.

I certainly have no idea :) Not sure any of the other users would know either.

Let's just say that I *imagine* they do as little as possible.

If it has any warranty I would suggest you open a ticket with them and see what they say given how new it is.

13. terpbeard

terpbeard New Member

Thanks for your help, I will definitely open a ticket.

14. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

1.75 mm filament, like that used on the Robo benefits from much more tension on the hobbed bolt than most people give it. Too little tension and it will slip and sometimes grind the filament along the edge. You could also turn the two screws that keep the Greg's Wade Lever Arm firmly pressed against the bearing in just a bit to increase tension. Also any filament that is out-of-spec by more than 0.7 mm has a tendency to drag inside the Hexagon Hotend bore as it is slightly undersize.

terpbeard likes this.
  15. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

I tighten down my screws hand tight all the way.

terpbeard and Geof like this.
  16. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

That works.

3 mm does not need the tension 1.75 mm does, just saying.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Ditto. Always have.

terpbeard and Geof like this.
  18. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I added 2 washers to each screw so the spring tension was more and basically "maxed" out the screws with the hexagon. Cured alot of headaches as @WheresWaldo is suggesting :D

terpbeard likes this.
  19. terpbeard

terpbeard New Member

Just added some, gonna see if it helps. Thanks.

Geof likes this.
  20. terpbeard

terpbeard New Member

Ugh, didn't fix my problem. I've been messing with this thing for 6 hours today without a single successful print. Yesterday I completed 3, 5 hour prints with no problems. I knew I shouldn't have changed my filament but I needed a different color, now I've tried going back to the color that was printing yesterday and having the same issue.