1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Extruder fan not working

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by crazas, Jun 23, 2015.

1. crazas

crazas Member

i left my printer working all night long and when I woke up I found that I ran out of ABS.
    After that the Printer stop working (not sure if both events are related or not but they may be)
    How can I fix that?
    I found many post about why this is happening (my fan is in fact not working) buy not how to fix it

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Details are important, just saying it stopped working isn't enough. Please provide more background.

3. crazas

crazas Member

Everything work but the extruder fan, so, the extruder does not extrude the plastic, I need to put the fan back to work, sorry It lloks like I pressed the backspace button quite a few times without notice it and I deleted the info.

Thanx

By the way, I am nit getting any power from this coupler after I unplugged the fan and connect another one

#3 crazas, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  4. crazas

crazas Member

This is the not working fan

[​IMG]

This is the connector I unpluged and I am getting no power from it
    [​IMG]

P.S. Do not look at the mess in the bed, it is just an optic illusion!! LOL

#4 crazas, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Which fan are you talking about? Your picture is the PARTS fan, not the EXTRUDER fan.
    The EXTRUDER fan must always run and if not it is a bad fan or wiring. The PARTS fan is software controlled.
    The slicer decides when to enable/disable it.

6. crazas

crazas Member

The one in the pic is the one that is not working, I was inder the impression that this one was the extruder one. (Shame on the newbie!! LOL)
    But, if this is not the cause, what can be going on?
    I tried to clean the extruder raising the temp to 280 and I was unable to push the ABS filament through the extruder..
    Any advise?

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

First, the extruder fan is the one mounted right in the side of the extruder (the smaller fan) and this must always be running when the extruder is hot (always running is fine too). If this is not running then you will clog...(just so you know).

Here is a link that talks about a good way to deal with clogs:

http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/how-to-fix-a-clogged-nozzle.864/page-3#post-4368

In general, dismounting the hotend (two screws on the side directly above it) and working on it while it is on the bed of the printer is the best approach.

#7 mark tomlinson, Jun 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The parts fan is controlled by software. You need to enable it for it to run. Send M106 in terminal to enable. Or use manual controls.

9. crazas

crazas Member

Ok I checked it, in fact the extruder fan is up and ripunning and it is the parts fan that is off.
    Thanx for the info about how to deal with clogs, it looks like I have some work to do tonight.

Thanx again

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Good luck. For ABS you normally want the parts fan off anyway so that is not going to be a problem :)

11. crazas

crazas Member

Have been trying to push the clog out of the extruder with the ABS filament and raising the temp to 280 with no luck. It looks like I need to remove the extruder to clean it.
    I checked this thread:
    http://community.robo3d.com/index.p...nyone-give-me-a-step-by-step.4616/#post-40639
    But it looks like there are some differences.
    Should I first remove the fan to gain access to the screws that hold the extruder?
    It is posted in every single post that this should be done with the extruder "hot": How hot and how should I do that without burning ,my fingers (silly question I know, I am asking for the right tool to do it)
    If I decide to change the print head any suggestion on the best choice?

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The part that needs to be done HOT is removing the (brass) nozzle on the extruder.
    You put it back on and then tighten it HOT as well.

You do not need to have the extruder hot to dismount the entire extruder from the chassis. Do that and then lay it on the bed and heat it to remove the nozzle.

13. crazas

crazas Member

[​IMG]

I removed the extruder fan and the full head. Nit sure what to do next.
    As you may see ( picture is not the best, there is a blig amount of ABS into it)

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Remove the rubber boot and then the brass nozzle* which is under the boot on the end of the extruder.
    If you heat it then you should have a pretty clear shot all the way through the extruder to remove any filament.

*you may have to heat it up to get the nozzle off.

15. crazas

crazas Member

And now I think soemthing went really bad, when I removed the rubber cover this cable was loose (or maybe I just detach it)
    Where should this one go??
    [​IMG]

16. crazas

crazas Member

Ok nozzle out with a pretty ugly clog inside.
    [​IMG]
    How do I clean it? I have been looking for differents methods and I even saw a guy litteraly holding the nozzle into a gas flame to burn the plastic.
    Is that a good way to do it?
    i know it is fast but the faster is nit always the better

#16 crazas, Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, the thermistor fell out as you saw.
    Just stick in there best you can for now (the boot holds it in place with the hexagon--a poor way to do it).

Heat the nozzle to about 250 and you should be able to get the nozzle off.
    Use two wrenches. 1 to hold the heater block and the other to remove the nozzle. You DO NOT want to put strain on the small bit between the heat block and the heat sink (that little tube looking part). That is called the heat break (but you don't want it to 'break').

You should be able to just set the nozzle to 250 and start it heating (don't know what software you are using, pretty easy in most).

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

In Simplify3d You do it from this screen. Set temperature and then select "ON" for the extruder.
    control.jpg

19. crazas

crazas Member

solved!!!

Extruder working great.
    Now I need te recalibrate Z axys because it is going way too high

KTMDirtFace likes this.
  20. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Just a random tip.

People suggest guitar wire I think? to jam through ( while its hot ) to clean out the nozzle .

I don't have that so I used what I had.. Motorcycle grip saftey wire, or twist wire from the fence area from home depot. I didn't think it would fit but it did and worked great. After I made it somewhat straight first.