1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Extruder heat loss issue.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Lord_Surl, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Lord_Surl

Lord_Surl Member

Hello again! The issue is that when I heat the extruder and the bed up to the proper temperature and go to print, it rapidly decreases in temperature. I recently cleaned it all up, so I know that there are no jams or severed wires or whatnot.

My printer has been broken for about 2 weeks now, and I'm getting really tired of this. Ive gone through issue after issue, and more problems are constantly popping up. This seems to be the last error, so I'm really eager to get this fixed if you couldn't tell. Thanks in advance.

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

If the bed is not at temperature when you start a print it will disable the heater for the extruder causing it to drop.

Open terminal and watch for any errors to pop up

3. Lord_Surl

Lord_Surl Member

I already made sure that both of them were up to temp. It also gives me the error "Error: Extruder switched off. Temperature fell too much during print! [26.191]"

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Well, there you go.

That is normally a loose thermistor (or a bad wire/connector).

Check the black rubber boot -- that is what holds the thermistor in place.

5. Lord_Surl

Lord_Surl Member

Yeah... well long story short, my boot came off so I've been using a mix of Teflon and Kapton tape to hold everything together. I'm not sure if this changes anything, but I felt it worth mentioning. Anyway, I will readjust the thermistor and add some more layers and get back to you

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It *could* be a loose connection.

7. Lord_Surl

Lord_Surl Member

Well, I added a few more layers and it kept the temp up for the first layer, so thats promising. After that I added even MORE layers. I'm about to test it again right now actually.

EDIT: The second test didn't work either.

#7 Lord_Surl, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  8. Lord_Surl

Lord_Surl Member

So yeah, its not a problem with the thermistor or heat insulation.

9. Frankn

Frankn Member

I am trying to picture what you originally said and a thought popped into my head.
    Here's how it works. Extruder comes to temp, Carriage mover to center, This movement causes the heat to drop at the extruder and it just sits there waiting till the heat goes back up. This is normal. Just a thought. Frank

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Temp fall error is an intermittent thermistor.
    There are several reasons why it might be loosing the signal to the thermistor, but that is the reason for that error :)

11. Lord_Surl

Lord_Surl Member

It would be normal, except that the temperature doesn't go back up. It just keeps dropping lower and lower.

I checked all the wires and they all seem to be fine. What are the most common reasons for thermistor signal loss? I figure I'll try out a few of those :D

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

13. Lord_Surl

Lord_Surl Member

Ok, if it turns out to be that, Ill definitely consider this! However, unplugging and then reconnecting the wires going to the hot end along with more Teflon Tape on the hot end seemed to do it a world of good. Now, if I just pause the print while its in the middle of auto-calibrating and let it get back up to temperature, it seems to work fine! Now I'm getting a totally different error, but thats something that I'm talking to the Matter Control support about.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank all of you guys here for helping me with my plethora of problems :D

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, that sounds a lot like a loose connection. Good luck.

15. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Temp fall error can happen when there is nothing really wrong or it could be a connection issue.

Do you by any chance have a fan on in the room? I had an issue when I installed a new hot end once where I kept getting temp fall errors when a fan in the room kicked on. I resolved it with a PID autotune.

16. Lord_Surl

Lord_Surl Member

No, but you're actually very close haha. I ended up having a two part problem: I didn't have enough insulation around the thermistor and that general area, and the fan that blows on the nozzle was kicking in early. I had noticed that before, but didn't think very much of it until yesterday.

17. SinfoniaSam

SinfoniaSam New Member

I had the same problem when I modded to duel fans. I had to lower the speed in Cuba, or else my hot end couldn't keep up.

18. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@SinfoniaSam I am curious are you using a shroud on the dual fan set up or just generally pointing toward the bed?

BTW, I like your Youtube videos.

19. SinfoniaSam

SinfoniaSam New Member