1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Extruder motor grinding

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Nathanfish, Aug 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Ok so i have a new backup ramps board, just waiting on my extruder motor to get here now. I think i've figured out my extruder problem but for my heated bed do i try to replace the ramps board again and hook up my heated bed directly to it? Or should i wire up a relay to power it it? Any suggestions?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Your call. It will heat up quicker if you put a relay in line with a 24v power supply :)
    You won't blow the RAMPS again with a relay either way.

3. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Well i'd rather just stick with the power supply i have for now, but yes 24v would be nice! So a standard 12v relay should be fine, correct?

Actually if i get the guts to finally build a machine then might as well go with 120v

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Still don't understand why i ran that heated silicon pad for months with no issues and then when i plug it into the new ramps board it blows up.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Can't say -- bad timing? Karma? :)

The RAMPS should not have realistically been able to damage it unless it let through a stupid amount of voltage and that would have had other side-effects.

Yea a 12v relay will be perfect. Needs to be rated for 15 amps or more on the output contacts, but that is nothing special.

Nathanfish likes this.
  6. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Must be.. Curious to find out how much faster it will heat up because that will be nice. Hopefully i can get my controller figured out too while i'm at it and get this thing back up and running.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

#67 mark tomlinson, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  8. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Oh yeah i bought some 40watt heaters last week, might have to go ahead and put one of those in while i'm at it. Yeah that's some good reading, the 24v to 12v converter seems like a pretty good idea. So i could use the 12v silicon heater with 24v? I'll have to do more research but when it comes time to build a machine i might as well go big.

Well the stepper motor i had over nighted for today is delayed until tomorrow. That never happens!! Guess i can take my time and try to wire up this relay then. Dangit!

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Almost all of the 12v heaters are rated for 24v, but you will need to check that specific one.

Nathanfish likes this.
  10. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

An I wrong in thinking I could use a regular 12v relay to power my heated bed? I hooked it up last night and got nothing. Maybe my ramps board is bad again but I'm afraid to replace it and fry my last one. I ended up ordering this relay so I'll probably just try to get everything working besides the bed tonight

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MKWACVI/ref=ya_st_dp_summary

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That would go onto the RAMPS output for the bed and then run the power to the bed through the contacts.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Make sure you have the 12v coming off of the RAMPS (use a meter)

http://imgur.com/lA9csaB

That picture is a simplistic example :)

13. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

That's how I have this other relay hooked up so must be ramps board.

Figured out it was my extruder stepper motor and the new one I got in works. Except for the fact the output shaft is different from the stock robo one... so now I'm trying to decide between grinding this one to fit or trying to swap them out. Go figure!

14. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Oh crap... @Nathanfish I totally didn't even notice it didn't have a D shaft when you asked about it earlier. I'm so sorry man. I can't believe I missed that.

15. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

No worries. I actually ended up ordering a different one than I posted because it had a removable wire and the one I posted originally didn't look like it had the same harness. I think I'll just try to grind another flat in it. Haha

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Could be. One common problem has been the MOSFET that drives the bed heater dying (Q3 on a standard RAMPS).

Nathanfish likes this.
  17. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Well finally got the extruder in and working after grinding another flat in it. I also had to replace the cable which is odd but whatever. Now im going to replace the ramps board one more time and hook up this relay and see if I can get printing tonight. Thanks for all the help so far!

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

We had a bit (a while back) where there were some heaters drawing too much juice -- probably just a bit more than they should -- and it killed a fair amount if RAMPS boards. Hopefully not related, but throwing it out there.

19. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

I'm hoping that's what happened to this second ramps because I smelled some burning. Hopefully now that I have a relay this third one will be good to go.

20. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

So can't you fix a bad ramps board if it's just a MOSFET? I see they drop MOSFETs pretty cheap on Amazon. Maybe not worth it with how cheap they are.

mark tomlinson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.