1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Extruder not warming up

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by SoCalPrinter, Dec 7, 2017.

1. SoCalPrinter

SoCalPrinter New Member

I have a brand new printer that I am having a problem with. I heated the extruder to 220 degrees and loaded in the filament. Then I turned the printer off and went to the store for masking tape. When I came back, there was a hardware error window. Now the extruder won't heat up at all. After the bed warms up, the extruder temp never rises. I've tried it on two different computers. Any ideas? Thanks

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

C2 printer? There is no heated bed on the C2...

Can you be more specific on the hardware error (like the details)?

3. SoCalPrinter

SoCalPrinter New Member

No, it's a Robo3d R1, I think the window said something about losing temperature, but I figured that was just because I turned the printer off while Matter Control was still open. The extruder heated up with no problem and was extruding filament, but now I can't get it to raise in temperature at all. I tried entering m999 into the g-code terminal

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Moving this to the R1 forum section.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Could be a bad thermistor on the hotend. Start with the simple things.
    Unplug everything (including the USB) from the printer -- give it a minute or two and then power back up.
    See if you get it going. If not the exact error message would be helpful.

6. SoCalPrinter

SoCalPrinter New Member

I just unplugged everything and waited 2 minutes, but the extruder still won't respond. It only showed the error message one time, after I loaded the filament and turned it off. It's a brand-new printer so I'm not sure how the thermistor could have already gone bad after working fine at first.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Under warranty by all means give Robo3D a call :)
    Parts sometimes have birth defects that is what the warranty is for.
    Probably could see the problem from the GCode console* between the printer and the computer, but since this is a new one give them a ring and have them get you going. We are not going to be able to help you get new parts if something has gone bad (we are all just Robo owners like you)

*with mattercontrol that is via these instructions, you would need to look all the way back potentially to see all errors:

http://wiki.mattercontrol.com/OPTIONS/G-Code_Terminal