1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Extruder stepper motor not working

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Muhammad Amir, Nov 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Muhammad Amir

Muhammad Amir Member

Hi Guys,

my robo3d printer extruder stepper motor stopped working after 9 hours job. I moved from my hand its free, doesn't look something stopping. I changed wiring checked all connection.

last I printed 9 hours job. it was working fine then I turned off for 5 mins then I started new job it was not working. does it mean motor dead ?

how can I check ?

#1 Muhammad Amir, Nov 3, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

First check if there was an error. Might be that the extruder temp fell below the min temp. If you can get the extruder temp above 180/185c it should extrude. If not, could be a driver or stepper issue. First check your extruder temp.

3. Muhammad Amir

Muhammad Amir Member

Temp was the issue earlier after replacing wiring temp is fine but still motor is not working ...? Do I thing I should replace the motor ?

Driver issue ? You saying I should reinstall software ??

4. danzca6

I should point out that if this is a new printer still under warranty, that you should schedule a call with Robo themselves to troubleshoot and get any needed replacements.

The stepper is driven by a driver on the RAMPS board. The driver pushes the current needed to run the stepper. That current setting is adjustable. A shade tree way of doing a quick check is to swap the connection of your E0 with Y while power is off and power cable and USB cable is unplugged. After, turn the printer on and use the manual controls within your slicer program to raise the temp of the hotend to over 185C. Then using your Y control, see if it will turn the extruder. If it does it might be a bed driver on E0. Next try to move Y with your extruder control. If it moves, but you previous attempt to extrude using the Y controls failed, then it might be the stepper. If they both move, then it might be a driver current setting needs adjustment on E0. Just do the smallest moves you can at first to check things out. Use caution when doing this. Report back and we can see what the next step is.

5. Muhammad Amir

Muhammad Amir Member

My printer not in warranty very old ... I'm new in 3D printer world. What you are saying I believe i have to use Adriano software to check E0 right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. danzca6

E0 is the driver port on the RAMPS board. The RAMPS is something you will find under the printer when you take the bottom cover off. There are 5 driver ports on the RAMPS. I circled the E0 here. You can see in the row below that there is the driver for the X, Y and Z. If you are new to all of this, take caution and ask questions to be sure. What I suggested was to just take the 4 wire plug from the E0 and swap with the Y. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, it's ok. I don't want you to do anything you aren't comfortable doing.

Capture.PNG

Geof likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

No, the terminology can be confusing to new folks. The stepper driver is a small board that converts the signal from the RAMPS board into current that drives the stepper motors. There is one for each axis (two for the Z axis on an R1+, one for the Z on other models) and one for the extruder. If they get bad then the stepper will not work. So there are either 4 or 5 mounted on top of the RAMPS (which is mounted on top of the Arduino).

8. Muhammad Amir

Muhammad Amir Member

No totally comfortable doing anything this is how I can learn.. I tried that earlier before posting but was not sure which one is what now u pointed on picture. I can try again, I got the idea ur saying I'll plug the motor with other port which is working if it will work it
    Mean motor is fine something else going on I'm right ?

9. danzca6

That's correct. There are other ways to check with a multi meter and such, but this is a way if you don't have the tools to narrow things down.

10. Muhammad Amir

Muhammad Amir Member

Thanks I'll check I'll update u guys in mean while can u tell me where I can find motor if it is bed ? Just want to check pricing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk IMG_7774.JPG

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Robo has them, amazon has them (set of 5 for 60 ish typically).

12. Muhammad Amir

Muhammad Amir Member

Thanks .... Can you tell what should I search on Amazon ? :)

13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Peterlovediy and mark tomlinson like this.
  14. danzca6

#14 danzca6, Nov 4, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    Peterlovediy and mark tomlinson like this.
  15. danzca6

I also should mention, that Robo used this large motor on the extruder because it was the same as all the others. So cost wise it made sense. With the gearing of the Greg's Wade, you could go smaller to reduce weight. Getting the same is fine as well.

Peterlovediy, Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  16. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yup. The NEMA 17 part defines the face/mounting form factor. The only other real important variables are the torque and perhaps length

Geof likes this.
  17. Muhammad Amir

Muhammad Amir Member

I just checked I plug the motor in z axis. motor is working. Now what should I do ? What does it means my board is bad ?

18. danzca6

Ok, Z was one I didn't suggest because of how it drives 2 motors, BUT if what Z is set to worked, then that might mean something for us. Did you plug another axis into E0 to see if it would drive that axis? Could be that the RAMPS port for E0 is bad, the plugin A4988 stepper driver is bad, or the driver itself just needs to be adjusted to supply more current. Try driving X or Y by plugging the 4 wire plug from one of them into the E0. Does it allow you to manually move the axis?

Also you post 2 up about checking pricing, Geof and I gave you some links for pricing. However, with the stepper working when plugged into Z you are probably ok with the stepper. May need a new RAMPS or a new A4988 driver if we get to that point. Both are cheap. I have left links to help you get an idea of how cheap these are for reference. May not need them, but we will see as we continue to troubleshoot.

Whole electonics kit is cheap: https://amzn.com/B016D6DSBW
    Just the RAMPS: https://amzn.com/B01FDDEP9K
    Just the A4988 driver: https://amzn.com/B01KULNLDG

19. Muhammad Amir

Muhammad Amir Member

Thanks for links it will really help. Let me plug other stepper in E0.

20. Muhammad Amir

Muhammad Amir Member

Nope no motor working in E0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk IMG_7775.JPG IMG_7776.JPG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.