1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Extruder stepper motor not working

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Muhammad Amir, Nov 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Muhammad Amir

Muhammad Amir Member

So it means bad driver ? Look like all drivers all together I have to change all ?? Should I change full kit ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Each driver controls one stepper (except for the Z which sometimes has two steppers on one driver)
    Look at the layout diagram posted above and you can see which stepper driver to replace.

3. Muhammad Amir

Muhammad Amir Member

After that have to update the firmware ?

4. Muhammad Amir

Muhammad Amir Member

Or if I replace the kit ?

5. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Ok, so we now know the stepper itself works and still troubleshooting the driver. The driver boards are all independent and just plug in. You can replace one at a time. Now we know we either don't have the current high enough for the E0 driver to push a stepper or the port is bad. Take the driver board off of Z since you know that can push the extruder stepper just fine and plug it into E0. Take note of orientation of the small driver board so that you don't plug it in backwards. Just take off the driver board from E0, set it aside, take off Z and place it the same way onto E0. Make sure all power is unplugged of course. Now try and move the extruder with that driver. If that doesn't work, then you will want to get a new RAMPS. If it does work then we can try adjusting the current on the original E0 driver board.

6. Muhammad Amir

Muhammad Amir Member

I did as u said I checked all drivers switching all are working when it's goes on E0 it doesn't work and accidentally one driver heat sink came out I don't know how to put it back [​IMG]

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Not unless you are changing something else that the firmware would affect.
    If you are replacing one exact part for another, no.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

CyanoAcrylate (Superglue, crazyglue, etc)

9. danzca6

Don't use regular glue. I would use thermo paste such as https://amzn.com/B0087X728K. This will ensure proper transfer of heat from the chip to the heat sink.

And if you end up buying the whole kit like the option I mentioned below, just take one of the heat sinks from the kit. They have a thermo tape underneath to stick them on.

#29 danzca6, Nov 6, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  10. danzca6

Ok, that tells me that the port itself is probably blown on the RAMPS where the driver board plugs into E0. Now you do have an open E1 port. I've never done this to know if it will work, but I wonder if you plugged the driver from E0 into E1 and then updated the firmware pins_RAMPS.h to swap the pins for E0 and E1. Anyone else do that know if it would work?

The other option is to just get a new RAMPS board. For me personally, I would get the RAMPS kit I linked to above. For just over $30 to have spares of all the electronics is worth it. Not sure if you have an LCD or not yet, but if you don't the one that comes with the kit is nice to have. Gives you more control over your printer without a PC and some options you wouldn't have with just the PC as well. Your choice.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

They are shipped with instructions to use CyanoAcrylate and I have assembled a lot of them that way.
    These are not super-critical :) Remember they will work without the heat sink.

12. Muhammad Amir

Muhammad Amir Member

Thanks let me order one in mean while I'll try what I said to replace port. Can you please guide me how I can do that I need software to to upload or edit firmware ?

13. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Just a side note.

To be honest, the stepper IC is designed so that the heat transfer is from the underside. that is why you should have a series of holes in a grid pattern though the circuit board, directly under the IC. That hole grid may also have copper cladding and is designed to solder onto the bottom of the IC. The design is such that very little thermal transfer should happen though the IC case and the bulk should be to the circuit board.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  14. danzca6

I would hate to make you be a guinea pig experimenting with this. I was hoping someone that might have done this would speak up, but I don't know anyone that has. In theory, if you have downloaded the CORRECT firmware for your machine from Robo http://guide.robo3d.com/Wiki/ROBO_3D_Firmware_Release_Notes, you can open the pins_RAMPS.h file and change the pin assignments from the E0 and E1 by swapping the pin numbers. Seeing the default settings below, you would change E0_STEP_PIN from 26 to 36 and E1_STEP_PIN from 36 to 26. Doing the same for the other 4 variable pin assignments. If you have never updated the firmware, you will need to download the arduino software http://arduino.cc/download_handler.php?f=/arduino-1.6.9-windows.exe. The rest is just following the compile and upload procedures from the Robo site using the arduino software. Don't download the hex or matter control versions of the firmware since you want to actually change values prior to upload. Since you are getting a whole new kit of electronics, then this might be ok to play with if you feel up to it. Just make sure you have the correct version of the firmware to begin with. If you need help with that, let us know.

pins_RAMPS.h
    Code:
    #define E0_STEP_PIN        26
    #define E0_DIR_PIN         28
    #define E0_ENABLE_PIN      24

#define E1_STEP_PIN        36
    #define E1_DIR_PIN         34
    #define E1_ENABLE_PIN      30

15. danzca6

@Muhammad Amir I decided to be a guinea pig and test this change. It works. I just took my 4 wire plug from E0 to E1, moved my E0 driver board to E1, switched the pin assignments in pins_RAMPS.h in the firmware, uploaded, heated up the hotend, and it extruded beautifully. So this is on option for you without replacing the whole RAMPS. I would still get a backup set at some point, but this should get you back to printing today. Let me know if you have any issues with this swap. Cheers!

pins_RAMPS.h - After swapping E0 and E1 pins.
    Code:
    #define E0_STEP_PIN        36
    #define E0_DIR_PIN         34
    #define E0_ENABLE_PIN      30

#define E1_STEP_PIN        26
    #define E1_DIR_PIN         28
    #define E1_ENABLE_PIN      24

Rigmarol likes this.
  16. Muhammad Amir

Muhammad Amir Member

@danzca6 ur great I'm still reading and finding my right firmware and how to setup and meanwhile I ordered full kit from Amazon ur given link

17. Muhammad Amir

Muhammad Amir Member

I found ur old post I have 5/16" I downloaded ur given firmware link but when I see values download config file it is totally different IMG_7787.JPG

18. Muhammad Amir

Muhammad Amir Member

when I'm compiling getting error "
    Arduino: 1.6.9 (Mac OS X), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega1280"

In file included from /Users/Amir/Desktop/Auto_Level_7_17_516inch_/Auto_Level_7_17_516inch_.ino:6:0:
    /Users/Amir/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Auto_Level_7_17_516inch_/dogm_font_data_marlin.h:12:25: fatal error: utility/u8g.h: No such file or directory
    #include <utility/u8g.h>
    ^
    compilation terminated.
    exit status 1
    Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560.

This report would have more information with
    "Show verbose output during compilation"
    option enabled in File -> Preferences.
    "

Please advice ....

19. Muhammad Amir

Muhammad Amir Member

@danzca6 please advice ...

20. danzca6

Do you have a full graphics LCD controller? If not, look under the Configuration.h tab for the line below and put // in front of it to comment it out. If you do have one, then you will need to download and install the U8glib library. http://reprap.org/wiki/RepRapDiscount_Full_Graphic_Smart_Controller

#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.