1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Extruder Thermistor Fail (née: Heated Bed Failure)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Chris A, Jan 24, 2015.

1. DJenky

DJenky Member

I am well within my warranty, I will start that now. I got the firmware updated, it's saying I've still got a target temp of 210 (PLA)
    I've got it running another test print from the sd card and it's hovering around 199 and going strong. I'll give that a minute and see.

2. DJenky

DJenky Member

Ok, I've got a parts request started, firmware updated, I do have a multimeter (didn't think I did) but I don't know how to actually check the resistance, as I've never used it before.
    WP_20150708_011.jpg

do I need to have it turned to a specific setting? And which connection am I touching it to, the one coming directly from the hot end, or the thermistor itself that unhooks from that?

*Edit - Alright, test print is done, and good! Looks like it's working, though the hovering around 199 concerns me a bit.

#42 DJenky, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

If it can't get to 210 then the thermistor is loose and not making good contact with the metal.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Power off, USB unplugged.
    Disconnect the thermistor (the connector with the thin wires, not the red ones).
    It will be in the neighborhood of 100 kOhms, set the meter scale accordingly.

Refer here:

http://www.wikihow.com/Measure-Resistance

5. DJenky

DJenky Member

ok, I turned everything off, I set the multimeter to 200k ohms (the horseshoe-like symbol right?)
    Tested the connector coming off the machine itself and the meter read about 5.5
    Tested the thermistor and it reads 76.0 - 77.2

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Ohm (Ω)

Yea, that one.

Reading a bit low, but move the extruder some and see if it fluctuates.
    If not @Mike Kelly is probably on target and it is just not making a good connection (not tight against the heater block).

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

in the 70kohm range is fine if it's warm. 100kohm is for ambient temperatures.

Just gotta follow all the connection points and try and make it trip. It's frustrating to troubleshoot but eventually you'll find the smoking gun

8. DJenky

DJenky Member

Alright, moved it around a bit, getting the same reading (I take it I am using the measurement from the connection coming directly off the machine?
    2015-08-7--11-12-41.jpg
    And since I am getting the same 5.5 reading, what does it mean that it's not tight against the heater block, that the bead isn't in a good spot on the hot end? Or that it's something to do with the wiring?\

*Edit - ok, it sounds like I am measuring from the connection on the thermistor itself, I checked that again and I'm up to about 83.1ish and rising

WP_20150708_014.jpg

Ok, just remeasured and then measured at the point where the wires are soldered to the thermistor, both are fluctuating around 79.~

*Edit - pulled the boot off again, this where where the thermistor is currently sitting, it's kinda stuck actually, I don't know how much it matters where it is touching the extruder or what not or if there is a specific spot it needs to be.
    WP_20150708_016.jpg

There is still some leftover PLA around the extruder itself, thin bits and pieces.

#48 DJenky, Jul 8, 2015
  9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

that's really not a good spot for the thermistor. It needs to be in the hole for it.

10. DJenky

DJenky Member

Alright, and which hole is the thermistors?
    I've got the big hole the heater core wires go into
    the small hole to the left of it

and another small hole on the side to the right of that.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Where is less important that how firmly it is up against the heater block. If it is not tight it will not correctly read the temperature.
    (and the hexagon does this dumb...use the rubber boot if they want, but provide a way to secure the thermistor)

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

13. DJenky

DJenky Member

Alright, gonna heat it up so I can melt the PLA on the extruder and wipe it off a bit, but it is hole #2 here then?
    2015-08-7--12-04-04.jpg

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

that's the rubber boot but yes it does go in the hole adjacent to number 2

15. DJenky

DJenky Member

And I just push the bead end of the thermistor into the hole and put the boot back on?

like so:
    WP_20150708_026.jpg WP_20150708_023.jpg

I got it into hole 3 here but it keeps jumping out when I try to get the boot back on.
    Hole 2 is too small, I had difficultly trying to get it in there and I was afraid I might break it.

#55 DJenky, Jul 8, 2015
  16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

nope you're not understanding.

It doesn't need to go through the boot holes at all, you can just use the boot to kinda press in on the thermistor wires from the side

Watch this, the most important part is that the thermistor is making good contact with the metal inside the hole. As you're actually measuring the internal temperature of the metal instead of the colder exterior.

17. DJenky

DJenky Member

Ok, I think I've got it. Though I did manage to get it in the hole of the boot as well, running another test print now.

Ok, looks like we got the same thing, it starts alright and then kicks out after a few minutes

#57 DJenky, Jul 8, 2015
  18. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

it's probably a connection somewhere. Check the ramps board underneath

19. DJenky

DJenky Member

Nothing appears to be loose on the board, Except for the fan that covers the board on the bottom cover I'm comparing it to the diagram from the first page of this thread.

Pretty much disconnected and re-connected every cable on the board I can find

Put everything back together, and running another test print

*Edit - Same issue the extruder temperature falls after a few minutes

#59 DJenky, Jul 8, 2015
  20. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Try printing from a software like repetier host. Watch the temperature curve during a print and see if it's more of a gradual drop off or if it's a sudden spike