1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Extrusion issues...suggestions?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by WizarDru, Feb 28, 2018.

  1. WizarDru

    WizarDru Member

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2016
    Messages:
    78
    Likes Received:
    33
    Hello, all.

    So I've had some issues with extrusion for a while now. At some point, my R1+ did print without any real issues, but over time I've seen it get worse. There is some variation, but the primary issue is that most of prints are now coming out with horizontal gaps on an inconsistent basis. Here are some of the things I've done so far to address the issue:

    1. Hooked up an oiler
    2. Tried varying the temperature up and down
    3. Replaced the hotend and nozzle
    4. calibrated the stepper
    5. Increased the extrusion multiplier
    6. Tried printing through both MatterControl and Simplify3D
    7. Tried multiple kinds of filaments, both new and old

    Some of these have helped, but I'm still seeing this issue. I can only assume it's a tuning issue. Does anyone have some suggestions at what else I might try to change that might address this?
     

    Attached Files:

    OVNI likes this.
  2. mark tomlinson

    mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2013
    Messages:
    20,049
    Likes Received:
    6,728
    What type of filament?
     
  3. mark tomlinson

    mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2013
    Messages:
    20,049
    Likes Received:
    6,728
    Try focusing on one type and maybe even one spool for starters.
    Some of that looks like it may be filament issues, but others look more mechanical.
     
    Geof likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

    mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2013
    Messages:
    20,049
    Likes Received:
    6,728
  5. WizarDru

    WizarDru Member

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2016
    Messages:
    78
    Likes Received:
    33
    Primarily PLA. The gold filament there is Robo's PLA. The white is Boots PLA, the grey was another brand from my Maker Box.

    I've have two of those guides bookmarked, but hadn't seen the third, thanks. I'll try adjusting the feed tension and see if that's an issue.
     
  6. WizarDru

    WizarDru Member

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2016
    Messages:
    78
    Likes Received:
    33
    I think I've solved it (one of the ultimaker guides suggested it). The problem, as best as I can tell, was grinding filament due to the springs on the loader being too tight. I noticed one of the springs looked somewhat odd, so I loosened them. Eventually the one spring came out, but the spring end looked stuck. I pulled it off and reversed it before putting it back on. Subsequent prints haven't removed the gaps entirely, but they are greatly reduced.

    Thanks, all!
    image2 (1).JPG
     
    Geof and WheresWaldo like this.

Share This Page