1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Faceplate with 30 mm Fan Cut Out

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, Oct 4, 2017.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I designed this for the R2 but it doesn't work because of the design of the front door. The C2 without a door this should work fine.

I used 2 neodymium 4 mm x 2 mm round magnets pressed in place for the attachment method. Download from the link provided, available in multiple formats. I printed it without supports standing on edge.

upload_2017-10-4_13-48-27.png
    [​IMG]

mark tomlinson likes this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I'll see about giving it a try on the C2 (no promises, but I'll try)

3. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Interesting. But still unsuccessfully trying to understand what's wrong with the original design... o_O

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

People are having heat creep issues with filament on the R2. I believe @WheresWaldo is trying to make subtle modifications that will alleviate some of that. C2 I dont believe has an issue, but a mod that is beneficial non the less (more cooling = better :D)

5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I didn't actually build this for the C2, I was trying to build it for the R2, but the R2 has a door that is in the way. The reality is I want to remove that little screamer of a 25 mm fan that is on the back side. It sucks..., it's loud, it's prone to failure, it doesn't provide adequate cooling.

It would be easier to just modify the 3D model of the fan shroud, but 1. I don't want to reverse engineer it (I have better ways to spend my time) and 2. the 3D model does not seem to be forthcoming anytime soon.

6. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

My fan was loud until I put a drop of oil on the bearing, but after that it isn't really any louder than the rest of the machine.

Especially NOT when compared to the PSU fan... I now inserted series resistors with that one to slow it down.

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Oil is only a band-aid fix I actually took apart the PSU and oiled the fan and after a week the noise was back. Thinking of swapping fans in the PSU but a resistor inline might be a workable solution also. The real problem with the cold zone fan is that it is 25 mm and they all suck.

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Don't hold back... how do you really feel?

Steve0 likes this.