1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Fan duct for extruder on Robo 3D r1 plus stock hexagon hotend? Does it Exist?

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by theman00011, Dec 4, 2015.

1. theman00011

theman00011 Member

Is there any fan ducts that can be used on the stock hexagon hotend on the plus model or do you have to have a e3d hotend to have that ability? I really want a custom fan duct but I am not ready to replace my entire hotend after owning the printer for less than a week lol

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You will have to search thingiverse, but a quick glance doesn't turn up anything.
    You don't really need the ducted fan. I run one with and one without a ducted fan and I see no difference in behavior.
    The printed part cools down nicely on both.

If you have a 3D printer (I assume You do) :) Then create one.

3. theman00011

theman00011 Member

My reasoning for wanting a duct is so I can install a fan with more CFM so that overhangs are less of an issue. I do have a printer (Of course :p) but I don't have the design skills to create one or the mechanical knowledge on how I would mount it. I suppose I will make do with the stock fan until I decide to get in e3d hotend or until somebody is generous enough to make one. :D

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have two sitting side-by-side. Both have the E3D hotends (one is a v5 the other a v6) and the v5 has a ducted fan and the v6 has just a normal parts fan. They both print fine. The only reason I ran the duct on the v5 was that it also has the volcano adapter on it and it can get to moving really fast at higher temps and flow so the duct (maybe) helps. With the low flow rate of the fans that came with the unit I seriously doubt the duct matters much.

5. theman00011

theman00011 Member

Yeah, the small CFM of the fans that came with it don't help too much. That is why I want to put a higher CFM fan on it but I think the only way I can do that is with a duct.

6. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

There are a couple good replacement fan block designs on thingiverse that allows you to run dual 40x40x10 fans. That helped a bit for me. I use http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:720018. If your going to use fan shrouds, I've heard from some that a 20mm fan is best for getting the CFMs to push enough air through the shrouds to make it worth it. I've thought of using these someday, http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:821080, but what I have has been working great. There are also things you can do to improve bridging and such with speed and extruder temp to help outside of more fans.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. theman00011

theman00011 Member

Yeah, I had seen that second one before and wanted to use it, but it isn't for the R1 plus and I wasn't sure if it would fit on the plus version.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The only difference mechanically for the plus is how the extruder mounts and the threaded rods. So it probably will work.
    Screw it, print it and see if it fits :)

9. theman00011

theman00011 Member

Sounds like a plan to me :) thanks for the help

10. theman00011

theman00011 Member

For anybody that sees this and wants to use a fan mount on their plus version, I found somewhere that you have to use this for the fan: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1026691

Going to print this out and try it