1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Favorite filament so far?

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by Printrrnoob, Jun 19, 2015.

1. BenMac

BenMac Member

What are the down sides of PETG? So far I have not been able to find specific issues. Alloy 910 sounds cool, but it seems a bit expensive for just getting started. Do you think that I should start with PLA, then try some other filaments?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yep. It is. Get confident with the printer first.

Best advice, ever. You nailed it :)

Printed Solid likes this.
  3. Mike C

Mike C New Member

PETG prints pretty good. I havent solved mild stringing yet but printing slower than PLA helps in general. Depends on what you use it for. PETG is better with uses requiring higher temps and more flexibility. PLA is more brittle and stiff but can't hack temps as well.

4. BenMac

BenMac Member

Cool, thank you for your suggestions and advice, I really appreciate it. :)

Right now I am probably just going to be making some indoor models, printer upgrades (Fan shrouds), and maybe some prototypes for holding some of my projects. I don't think it will experience temps higher than 100°F, and generally shouldn't experience major shocks or hits. Though, at some point in time, I was thinking of making something for my nephew (3yo.). So it is entirely possible that it could have issues.

5. Mike C

Mike C New Member

I would use PLA for those things because it's easy to print and cheap and fast but get some PETG. It is a good diversion from the PLA staple and you will still be succesful from the start but grow your skills. I enjoy TPU but you have to print slow. Worth trying all three to cover the range of somewhat easy to print and cheap types of material.

6. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

My current favorite is that ESUN PETG. I use abs when I can ( small things )..because I have some but I wont be buying anymore ABS again.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. Mike C

Mike C New Member

What params are you running on PETG? I currently have 238deg and 30 on all speed values except travel at 100 but getting some stringing. I have not cal'd extrusion though and I might need to

8. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

235nozzle/80bed

Speed i think is at the default 60mm/s but im not sure.

Left everything else stock ABS settings(Simplify3D), but I turned the cooling fan on.. didn't mess with anything else. havn't noticed stringing yet.