1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Filament bunker

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Joehsmash, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Joehsmash

Joehsmash Member

hey every one, it's been a while since I have posted on here. I know that this subject has kinda been beaten to death but I think this is a neat product.

It's called filament bunker. It's a place to store 2 spools of filament it has humidity control, also can feed the filament via Bowden tube. Which would be great to reduce the weight on the print head (also another subject that has been beaten to death). It also has an auto pause feature when you run out of filament.

They just launched on Kickstarter yesterday and was curious if any one has seen it yet. Also if any one knows if it will work with the Robo? I backed it anyways because I think it would be a great addition to any printer set up.

Any ways here's the link

http://kck.st/2c0Bm09

Let me know.

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Yes I have looked at it. For $120 it's not too bad for what it does. Angus from the Makers Muse YouTube channel actually interviewed the guy and it look legit. I think it will work fine on the Robo. It senses a tug and then uses the internal stepper motor to assist in getting the filament. I don't have a smart storage like this, but I do have a nice sealed bin that my filament goes into with a dehumidifier and temp/humidity gauge. Works really well. A guy on here showed me the plans and I did about half of what he did. He also had a way for the filament to feed through to the printer but no electronics. Wouldn't be that hard to add really. But to buy it all in a nice packages like this is a guide deal. I see more filament manufacturers adding bar codes and such to their spools and I think this company has been influencing that which is a good thing.

http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/filament-storage-box-diy.7879/

3. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

I think its cool, but i get by fine without one. I guess its not often i print giant things that I need to worry about the filament running out.

If it could interject a pause command into the gcode when its running out it would be cool. ( I think it just sends a message to your phone? )

4. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

And to only be able to control two rolls is a limitation. I have several open at a time and having a dry box like the big tube I bought from the advice in the thread I linked to above is needed. I agree, it is a neat advancement in taking into account print quality and filament preservation. Also the always glooming question of will I have enough to print this big model or not. This will be an interesting product to follow to see where they go with it.