1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Filament Cleaner V2

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Shrey, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Shrey

Shrey Active Member

So after the first initial design, it was later pointed it out the way i have the cleaner mounted it creates a possibility for oil to mess with the sensor. So after few redesign attempts i gave up the idea of mounting it to the sensor and decided to go directly above the extruder.

The V2 cleaner is much more compact and is very easy to work with since it's in the front rather then in the back.

It's available on Thingiverse, and i've also included the link for download if anyone wishes to customize.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2807020

http://a360.co/2or8Mdr

IMG_3806.JPG
    IMG_3805.JPG IMG_3804.JPG

mark tomlinson and WheresWaldo like this.
  2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Added to the Mods sticky post.

Shrey likes this.
  3. adikted2astro

adikted2astro Active Member

Please don't take this the wrong way, it's a serious question. I can understand why you would want to clean the filament, but why would you oil it before going into the hotend? Wouldn't that cause problems with the hobbed gear?

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@adikted2astro PLA is very sticky when heated and can clog hotends easily, that is why you will see many people recommend "seasoning brass hot ends (just like you would season a cast iron skillet) or adding a drop of oil or two to the filament before it enters the hotend.

5. adikted2astro

adikted2astro Active Member

Really? I'll keep that in mind in case this happens.

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea vegetable oil only :) It will flash away in the nozzle (smoke point is far less than plastic melting point).
    When it does the residue it leaves helps make the surface non-stick. Exactly as @WheresWaldo described.

Geof likes this.