1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Filament dripping out of nozzle

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by JimmyJames, Oct 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimmyJames

JimmyJames New Member

Just got the printer setup and about to run my 2nd print when I noticed the filament was dripping out of the nozzle. I turned on the extruder heat and before the printer started to run the print the PLA filament started to drip out of the nozzle. Extruder temp was 180 deg C and the feeding stepper motor was not running.

I tried my best to keep the nozzle clean before it ran, but the plastic that drips out before the skirt is put down creates a glob of plastic that prevents a good 1st layer from going down.

Has anyone else seen this? I haven't seen any other posts about it.

2. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

Dripping how much? Some oozing will happen, just remove it right before you star a print.

3. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

as the nozzle melts the filament a liquid a hole and gravity will work together to allow mior amounts of filament to ooze and this is fine sometimes I get oozes as long as an inch to 2 inches depending on hogh the nozzle is and how long it has been sitting there while hot when starting a print the nozzle is at the home position and it normally rises about 5 mm and does a small extrusion of filament I simply use a tweezers and grab that excess before it moves from the home position as for it causing your first layers not to stick I believe there are manyother factors causing that but with out more information it is hard to tell. I say this not be difficult but to let you know other things affect it more such as the z height levelness of the axis and of the bed give us some additional info and we can help get you going quickly
    Material ??
    temps ??
    bed ??

4. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hey Jimmy, well as everyone else has said some dripping, or ozzing is ok. Even if it is a few inches as their is nothingstopping the filament from falling out of a hole, so to speak, when it is in a molten state.

5. JimmyJames

JimmyJames New Member

Thanks guys. It was oozing a lot, but retracting while the printer is idle and hot helps.

6. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

retracting should only be done while a print is running if it is oozing too much simply adjust the temp downward by about 10C and then raise it back up when you print usually the printer will set that anyway.

I am making an assumption here oozing is describing the leaking or dripping of filament when the printer is in between print jobs and everything is just sitting there.

If this is the case then just lower the temp as I said above if you are not talking about oozing then let us know when and where you are seeing this happen

7. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Oozing is actually one of the reasons that you print a skirt. It gets the nozzle nice and primed with good material, Ready to print. You really don't want to be printing with that initial filament in your nozzle.
    Other slicers will put an anchor down (a little blob at home with a line leading up to the print) or a big wide line along the front of the printer.

8. JimmyJames

JimmyJames New Member

My problem is mostly when I hit run. It oozes out when the temp reaches the first layer temp, but before the printer runs. Then it goes to run the skirt and smears the ooze all over the print nozzle.

9. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Yeah, I get that too. The taper on the tip of the hot end is awfully shallow.
    I usually just watch and yank the little blob out with tweezers while the skirt is printing.
    It's always best to watch at least your first layer anyways.

10. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

the best trick is to add a bit of code to beginning of each print (donein the slic3r software) to raise the z 5mm then do the extrude then you can easily grab it before i start printing anything

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.