1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Filament jam in heat break in E3D v6

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Daniel Greenberg, Sep 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daniel Greenberg

Daniel Greenberg New Member

Hey guys,

Just bought a V6 Hot end extruder from filastruder. I will say that it is a fantastic tool and I overall love the design, but I am currently having an issue with the heat break. The plastic expands inside of it to the point where I can hardly physically pull it out, or it may be some other issue with it. It comes down to that I removed the heat block and the sink, which the plastic was stuck in the heat break. Anyone else having the same issue or a solution to this predicament?

Thanks,
    Danny

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Do you have the fan running?

2 people like this.
  3. Daniel Greenberg

Yup Mike, the fan is running. I purchased a second heat break to check if it was that individual one, they are very fragile pieces (bend easily); but I ended up with the same problem, plastic jamming in the heat break.

4. Invertmast

Invertmast Active Member

Are you using the short piece of ptfe liner they include? I had a few jams prior to installing that liner (i did not use the black tube snap holder, and drilled out the hole in the extruder the filament runa through for a tight slip fit of the ptfe tube) but since i installed it, i havent had any jams.

2 people like this.
  5. Daniel Greenberg

Thank you for the ideas. I did not install the Teflon tubing. I do think I may have found a little lip inside the heat break, but not entirely sure yet. I have ran 3-14 hour prints to see how if it is the material. using three different colors (different additives, and the brand has never failed me before this incident) I had one jam 3 hours in, another 9 hours, and the last 5 hours. I'm running the head at 220C, I would try lower temperatures right now, but now my printer is showing me the maxtemp error upon start up.

2 people like this.
  6. elmoret

elmoret Filastruder

The PTFE needs to be installed, period.

5 people like this.
  7. Daniel Greenberg

Thanks Elmoret, but could you please go into a bit more detail about the process? I would just like to know some more why this works.

8. elmoret

elmoret Filastruder

2 people like this.
  9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Prevents the filament from buckling before entering the nozzle.

2 people like this.
  10. Daniel Greenberg

Thank you Mike, I did not get the kit because I was attempting to cannibalize some parts, failed, and ended up buying parts individually. I have it all straightened out now. I did not notice some of the dimension changes in the design, so that is where my ignorance came into play. The buckling definitely makes sense in why I am having this issue.

again, Thanks Mike.

11. collin

collin New Member

damn right it does.
    you should actually read this stuff..... you are going to burn a house down one day

12. collin

collin New Member

also protip, if you are up to making your robo (almost) jam proof you can widen the hole in the ext ruder slightly and run ptfe tubing right up to the extruder wheel like so. I did It. it took a hell of alot to jam it after this. IMG_20140907_212032435_HDR.jpg

5 people like this.
  13. Daniel Greenberg

Thank you Collin for the tip, I find it very useful thought. As for some of the comments being made here, there seems to be a tad bit of pretentious going around and I think I could deal without the attitude.This is a learning process that I am trying desperately to develop, so I can deal without the foul attitude, because you are seriously not making any contribution. Which, as who I would believe to be a representative for filastruder, elmoret, please refrain from making such comments, they were not helpful at all and completely unnecessary.

People of the forums, try to to plaster a fake smile on and try to keep a healthy relationship with the other members, otherwise, no one will have anything to gain. I dont want any flame wars on here.

Danny

14. collin

collin New Member

...um wut.... Just read instructions that's all I ask....

15. Daniel Greenberg

Sorry Collin, that wasn't directed towards you. And I didn't get any instructions, nor did I get any PTFE tubing with my supplies. Assembly was pretty straight forward to me, didn't think I would have needed any PTFE tubing since they were only used in the Bowden kits previously (and because I didn't get any PTFE tubing or instructions)

2 people like this.
  16. collin

collin New Member

You didn't get any Bowden tube? That sucks. You should order stuff from this guys website. Printedsolid.com . he includes things that you might need for installation. Also he's a super nice guy a lot of people on the RoBo forums trust him. He sent me some PTFE tubing without me asking when I ordered my e3d from him.

@Printed Solid

17. collin

collin New Member

Also I'm digging your avatar

2 people like this.
  18. Daniel Greenberg

Thank you collin. I've been to their page and I really like it. Not a huge fan of filastruder much anymore, but they do sell spare parts. BUT, didn't know till now that printedsolid sold individual extruder components. I think I found my new supplier.

#18 Daniel Greenberg, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2014
    2 people like this.
  19. collin

collin New Member

Ya I only buy from printedsolid because he has awesome business practices. He's more concerned with getting you working components then just getting you components.

4 people like this.
  20. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.