1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Filament Looping?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Ryan Sabo, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Ryan Sabo

Ryan Sabo New Member

Hey guys, so I unboxed my printer last week and printed 2 parts without issue. My 3rd one continues to fail. The nozzle seems to be leaking filament and also loops a little bit when first coming out, reattaches to the outside of the nozzle, and then creates what I can only describe as a loop of filament. It does this every time. I attached photo for you guys to see.

I called the 24/7 tech support and they told me I needed a new heat sink and nozzle and to fill out the online form. I filled out the form and then was contacted by someone through email who told me I just need to tighten the set screw and provided me a video. The extruder that was in the video was the not the same as the one I have, so I don't know where the set screw is. I emailed her back and she sent me pictures on how to take the entire extruder apart but still doesn't tell me where this screw is.

Don't really know what to do at this point. She didn't even mention anything about the "filament looping" issue, just the leaking. I'm wondering if there is a partial jam in the nozzle that's causing the filament to be partial blocked and is changing the shape of the filament which is causing it to curve and reattach back to the nozzle. Also, since the nozzle is partially blocked that would mean there is more melted filament that is slowly coming out which would explain the leaking.

Any suggestions guys?

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I thin you are just printing too hot. Filament oozes when you do that.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

4. Ryan Sabo

Ryan Sabo New Member

Thanks, I'll take a look. Strange if it is a heat issue, I'm using the same temp that I did with the first 2 prints. I'm using PLA and it's set to the default heat setting with that material. I want to say it's 50 degrees. I'll check when I get home and down the temp by 5 degrees.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

50? Not for the extruder ...
    200 perhaps :)

Dropping it a few degrees and testing is perfect. If it is due to a clog/blockage then the previous links I posted will help.

6. Ryan Sabo

Ryan Sabo New Member

Whoops, I was referring to the bed temperature instead of the extruder. Again, still learning. lol, I'll let you know what happens.

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If pla don't forget the seasoning and oiler :)