1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

filament removal

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by fredm, Jun 18, 2016.

1. fredm

fredm Member

I am about to purchase the 3d r1+
    my biggest concern for trying it for the first time
    is making sure i dont create a jam.
    what is the best way to remove filament after printing

I thought I saw a video showing to push down then pull it out.
    but cant find it now.

I want to make sure I understand the best method before printing for the first time.

As a newbie , my understanding of the jam is when the filament melts beyond the hot end. its okay if there is filament in the hot end, right?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

A jam can occur for many reasons.
    The one you are trying to describe is when the filament melts above the melt-zone.
    This is called "heat creep".

It is totally cool to leave filament in the hotend, this has no real effect on clogs, jams, etc.

Just make sure the fan on the side of the hotend itself is running all the time the power is one and experiment with PLA to see if you need seasoning or an oiler.

When changing removing filament you want the hotend to be hot and either remove the spring loaded screws on the extruder and pull the filament out or pull back on the part they are holding to allow you to pull the filament out.

I prefer the first method since reloading the filament with the screws out is really simple. It only adds an extra minute to the operation. Just be careful since they are spring-loaded.

3. fredm

fredm Member

thanks for your reply.
    Just to confirm:
    when done printing, while still hot, remove the filament by removing the screws.
    best way to re insert the filament is when the screws are removed.

How do I determine if I need seasoning or an oiler? what are the signs I should look for?

I did see the robo 3d video showing them dipping the tip of the filament in food oil. i was going to play it safe and do this.
    I did wonder why food oil and not the 3in 1 oil they used to lubricate the threaded rods.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

In my opinion, yes. Can you do it without removing the screws? Sure.
    Personal preference.

That is seasoning.

http://community.robo3d.com/index.p...hotend-jam-clogs-seasoning-and-an-oiler.3564/

You can't season with mineral oil or dead dinosaurs... vegetable oil is needed.

Geof likes this.
  5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I do the 2nd method, i heat up the extruder and use the large plastic gear by rolling it backwards to pull the filament out, to reload i pull back on hinge (part with screws) push the filament in to the hobbled bolt then use the large gear (by spinning clockwise if your looking at the gear) to insert and extrude filament. Novice expert has a mod that makes this easier. Check out his helpful video thread

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

7. Corey Harris

Corey Harris New Member

Recently, I have found that I remove the hotend when I want to swap new filament, because the gear will not extrude the filament the entire way. I generally end up having to cut it and try to pull it out, or heat it up and push it through. I'm not able to move the gear manually, so I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this as well?

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi it sounds like after your print the end code doesnt have the disable steppers in it. A work around is to press disable steppers (im assuming matter control still has a button for this ?)

The easy/best thing to do is add the disable steppers script so you dont have to worry about it :)

9. Ryan Whitney

Ryan Whitney New Member

Just got my printer a couple weeks ago, but I can't remove the filament after printing. I can manually spin the gear in reverse with the feed still at 210 which works for an inch of travel or so but then the filaments stops moving. If I continue to spin the gear the hobbed bolt just starts chewing through the filament, so on 2 occasions now when I wanted to change filament it broke off and got stuck below the hobbed bolt so I needed to disassemble the hot end.
    Any suggestions?? I've tried oiling, and manually working the gear back and forth but so far the only thing that works is cutting the filament right at the hobbed bolt and using the end of my next filament spool to force the old one through the feed

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi ryan. It would be best to start a new thread and we can all help.you from there.