1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Filament run out detection

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by AlienBeans, Jul 11, 2017.

1. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

I have a mostly full spool of filament loaded and keep getting a Filament run out detection error. The first time it happened, I went through the procedure of removing and reinserting the filament and it turns out there was a stray piece from a different spool in the feeder to the hotend. I also thought it might have been triggered by the normal snag that happens in the spools because they are wound so tightly. However, today, I changed colors and started a print job and it worked fine for about 2 hours then gave me the Filament run out detection error again. I waited a while and restarted the job and it didn't even finish the raft print before the error came back. This is really getting frustrating for me. Has anybody else had this problem? If so, what did you do to solve it? Thanks.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

From what I understand, some of the paired-filament-sensors were installed backwards. It might be worth running the filament through the opposite hole just to see.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I agree. I expected both sides to be active and was surprised when we added the 2nd extruder to realize that it was empty on one side.

5. OutsourcedGuru

They saved themselves the cost of an LED, photoresistor and another pair of wires doing that. ;)

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Which (in quantity) is chump change.

7. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Disabling the runout sensor will prevent the runout from stopping a print. You lose the functionality

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

9. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

update again: I decided to go into the web interface and disable the filament run out detection and so far the previous print that stopped is printing beautifully. No idea why that sensor would randomly activate on a full spool but it does (at least for me)

#9 AlienBeans, Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    Geof likes this.
  10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Faulty sensor, request a replacement machine or if your up for the repair parts to fix it. Glad to hear your running !

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That is one part that would be fairly easy to replace

Geof likes this.
  12. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

I just started my first test print. I ended up with the message again, ran the wizard, and it keeps popping up. Where is the filament sensor on this thing? Also, someone mentioned use the other hole, is it the hole on the back of the printer where the filament tube plugs in?

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, it is the small black "box". However using the other hole will not help at all. Then the run-out sensor will ALWAYS not see filament.

They allowed for two filament feeds in that box, but only one run-out sensor that I can see.

Just disable the run-out and pursue a replacement (part or printer) with Robo.

14. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

Is it worth taking it off and looking inside to check it our? Is it an easily replacable part? I have lots of replacment printer parts :)

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sure, not a huge hassle to disassemble that bit*.
    If I recall correctly it is an IR sensor. Fairly standard bit to order from Mouser or Jameco if you can get the part # off of it.

I can look in a few minutes and see if I can read it.

Had it apart once when we added the second extruder the C2 since I (incorrectly) assume there was a second sensor in there...

*EDIT: I lied. I forgot that the screws which hold that on are coming from inside the case. IT IS a bit of a hassle to remove that thing. Not impossible, just more effort.

16. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

Well, I sent an email to support, will probably just disable it for now as suggested, and then take it apart when they send me a new sensor.

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Here are the two photos.
    C2Filament1.jpg

C2Filament2.jpg

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

19. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  20. OutsourcedGuru

Alright, I have now inserted my filament into the opposite hole of the filament run-out sensor and it ran an entire job without complaining about it. I didn't mimic a run-out but the job didn't stop with a complaint of no filament, which I half-expected.

So... if my filament sensor is installed backwards, then why did both attempts succeed? Wouldn't one of the versions have resulted in a run-out indication?

From a troubleshooting standpoint, this feels like running the filament to bypass the sensor completely. Doesn't that mean that the sensor is lying? If the circuit is open when there's filament, for example, and the sensor isn't even connected to the board, that might explain this one.