1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Filament sensor problems

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Lance Weston, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Lance Weston

Lance Weston Active Member

I disabled the filament sensor on my first R2 because of random failure during print. I enabled it on my second R2 and got the same problem. Randomly during the print the R2 would say I was out of filament. Has anyone found a fix?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. Lance Weston

I got a replacement part from Parstbuilt and it is an electronic small board. It has two wires, red and black, that run to two IO's on the Raspberry Pi. I do not know if a switch would work. I have no idea how to disassemble that part of the R2. I agree that a switch would be the most reliable way to go. Very frustrating to lose a print in the middle.

With two for two machines that have a problem I do not feel comfortable just replacing the part anyway.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is feeding to a DIO (digital IO) pin on the pi which is using 3.3v logic to "sense" if it is open or closed so ... swapping in a switch will work :)

Not a crisis since we ran a long time with no runout sensors (and I still have a few without one). Just an FYI if you ever do want to fix it.

5. Lance Weston

That is good to know. They must just set the other IO to GND

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, it is 3v logic (to gnd) so either 3v (a HIGH) or gnd (a LOW)

7. Lance Weston

Sorry, keyboard stopped working had to reboot. Do you have info on taking the assembly apart? Did you take any pictures of the switch repalcement?

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No, I did not.It is not as simple removing the housing as it should be, because the (two) screws for the housing the switch sits in are screwed in from the inside of the case :( Personally I would print a new case/cover to fit your switch(es) if you can't make the new ones fit in the existing case. That would be a trivial model :)