1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Filament Sensor

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by drbanks, May 27, 2018.

1. drbanks

drbanks Active Member

Last night, about halfway through an 8 hour print, my printer decided it was out of filament. It wasn't, but it was a fresh kg spool and there were no breaks or jams.

My quick workaround was to cut the filament, unload it, run a spare piece of filament through the sensor, then reload the main spool through the nonexistent sensor for the nonexistent second extruder.

Print completed fine, aside from a couple of zits from all the pausing for the imaginary filament run-out.

I've had this happen exactly one time before, and that was with a sample of clear "natural" filament. This spool is glossy black. I am left with the impression that the filament sensor is optical.

Well, like I said, I keep a short length of "fool the sensor" filament next to the printer for those times when I'm printing a Benchy from a sample coil, and just want it to run out, giving me as much of a Benchy is left.

Still, kind of annoying. I'd go figure out how to disable the filament sensor in the settings, but I already have that kludge.

But, WTH? A false positive on black filament?

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

It is a switch not an optical sensor, so the filament actually touches the lever arm of the switch to engage it. I have issues with mine too, so I just disabled the plugin from the web interface, can't be bothered to look to see how to fix it either.

Adam Laird likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

4. drbanks

drbanks Active Member

I'll stick with the kludge. I can enable or disable even while it's printing