1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Filament sticks to nozzle

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Michael S, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Michael S

Michael S New Member

I had to upgrade my PC OS a few weeks ago and had to install Matter Control again. Ever since doing that all my PETG prints have caused the filament to stick to the hot end tip and it eventually gets onto the print and ruins it (the glob sticks to the print and the printer knocks the part off the bed). I did some research on this and found this page that gives lots of advice on fixing the problem, but with a different printer, and therefore some of the advice isn't usable (https://www.xyzfabs.com/en/forums/topic/63/print-settings-for-petg-esun-solid-black-filament/). I've attached a photo showing the buildup of filament on the tip. After a while it gets even bigger and eventually transfers to the part. Any advice? I'd really like to continue using this filament (
    e-Sun PETG).

Thanks!
    IMG_2629.JPG

2. Mike Toole

Mike Toole Member

I am no expert. Repeat, I am no expert, but I struggled with PET-g and had the same issues plus a few others. :) I ended up getting it to work ok by adjusting my print speeds, layer heights among others, I got the pet-g to print pretty good. There is a long, long thread on the topic in another forum. Good luck.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Filament curling back to the nozzle is usually a sign of extruding too hot for that filament. That is NOT true for all filament types, but is a general rule of thumb.