1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Filament stops extruding during the printing

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Chymair, Sep 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chymair

Chymair New Member

Hi everybody,

First of all : please be indulgent ! I'm french and quite a newbie so my message won't be really correct and I'll probably don't use the correct terms. So, thank you so much if you are making the effort to understand me !

My problem is : when I try to print something, the printing starts well but after few minutes the filament stops extruding.
    The Robo3D goes on moving as if there was no problem, but no material goes out from the extruder anymore.
    After this problem : the filament blocked seems dug by the wheel inside the extruder.

I already tried some adjustments :
    - Different temperatures
    - Different speeds (60 to 30 milimeter /second)
    - Different material : ABS and PLA (provided with the Robo3D)
    - Different printing software : Matter Control and Repetier Host
    - Open and clean the extruder

So, I'll will be really greatfull if someone can help me to solve this problem !

2 people like this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. Chymair

Chymair New Member

Thank you, I'll try your solution tonight or tomorrow and we'll see...

4. lemuba

lemuba Active Member

I had the same problems and be happy that I wasted not tooooo much time to get the stock hotend working.
    Now with the cooled E3D V6 Hotend and the PTFE Tube it just prints and that repeatable...PLA and ABS.

5. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Remember that Chymair probably has a newer printer with the metal Hex hot end. Seasoning is a very good idea.

6. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Your english is very good. Much better than my French!

Does the extruder always jamb when it is printing the first layer? If so then the nozzle is slightly too low. How old is your printer? Can you post a photo of the hobbed bolt in the extruder? That is the part that you are cleaning the filament shavings off of. In older printers the hobbed bolt needed to be replaced with a better one. These are readily available on ebay.

7. Chymair

Chymair New Member

It's hard for me to understand these technical terms.
    I'me not sure I've understood everything but I'll try to answer :

- I'm not sure about "jam"'s meaning. But the filament doesn't always stop going out when it is printing the first layer. Sometimes, it's even printing more than 30 minutes whithout any problem.

- I calibrated my printer with Matter Control software and a visitcard. As soon as the nozzle touched the card, I validated the calibration.

- I had my printer the 17th of July, so it's not really old. Do you think the hobbed bolt has to be replaced ?

I'm posting photos as you asked !

I'll try seasoning tomorrow.

Thanks again for your answers !

Attached Files:

8. lemuba

lemuba Active Member

Hi,

try the following...

on one picture I believe to see plastic Filamanet abrasion in between the riffles of your extruder hobbed bolt - take something thinn like a steeple and sharp cutter knife and clean the riffeles from all plastic stuff in between. This plastic abrasion might cause the hobbed bolt slipping.
    Then additional you might increase the extruder roller pressure to the Filament by adding more pressure via both springs by adding 5mm washers...
    Reduce the print speed to 20mm/sec and increase the extruder temp by 5 degree if possible.
    Reduce in your slicer the extruder restraction distance to 0,8mm and possible max. 20mm/sec retraction speed.

If you still have extruding problems you should more concentrate on the hotend, its cooling, seasoning, another hobbed bolt, etc., etc.

9. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Chymair,
    Jam means that the extruder is blocked somehow.

That looks like an older printer with the J-Head hot end not the current Hexagon hot end. The hobbed bolt also looks older. If I were you I would get a grooved hobbed bolt from ebay and replace your stock one. That older stock one tends to slice into the filament and miss feed or just stops feeding. Here is an example bolt that will fit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Robo-3D-Hob...ter-Upgrade-Ships-fast-from-USA-/221434643179. Shipping to France is expensive though. You want one the looks similar to that one with the hobb centered at 15mm from the base of the bolt head.

This one looks good with free shipping to France! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobbed-bolt...632?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4adb22a8c0

10. lemuba

lemuba Active Member

With the auto bed leveling now running, I had the issue that my Z-Offset value was set too low by myself to 0.8...
    This causes the nozzle to be too close to the glas bed while printing the fist layer. The extruder was extruding all the time but slipping also all the the time over the Filament because of the high counter pressure... Finally after some extracts, mainly during printing the first layer or second layer, the extruder jammed completely and I had to clean the hobbed bolt. By increasing now the z offset to 1.0, all problems solved....

Maybe you also look to this possible failure...

Br,

Matthias

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.