1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Filament Thumb Latch Tension Screws Length?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Robotizedzombiedroid, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Robotizedzombiedroid

Can someone please confirm for me, what the exact length of the 'tension screws' for the 'filament latch on my R1 +' should be? (From under the head of the screw to the end in 'mm' please)
    I've been having a lot of problems with filament grinding and I want to do a reset as I may have replaced the stock screws with longer ones in the past. Cheers.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Well, they are 52 mm long (at least mine are) however... you really can't have them too tight (at least I have never managed to make that happen). I would not imagine the filament would grind out if too loose.

Filament grinding is usually clogs (or PLA micro-clogs that come and go)

Geof likes this.
  3. Robotizedzombiedroid

Thanks for that. I'm just checking everything but I think I just realized the problem.
    My nozzle is dragging too close to the bed for the first layer.
    First time I've had this problem. Right out of left field.
    Hadn't changed a thing. Curious? Readjusted my z-offset in S3D seems to be working ok now.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. Samantha Ezakovich

Samantha Ezakovich New Member

In the troubleshooting video I saw, the screws should be tightened just enough so that they are flush with the washer (if you are looking down from above, you can see the washer inside the thumb latch mechanism). --Glad you already solved your problem though!

5. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

One of the best & cheapest upgrades which I've done was to get 4mm x 50mm knob bolts (similar to thumb screws but with a plastic knob) instead of having to use a Phillips screwdriver. You could find a lot of 10 or 12 on EBay or Amazon for under $10. Local stores such as Lowe's only have very short length bolts.