1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

filament

Discussion in 'Australia' started by obzelite, Jan 24, 2014.

1. obzelite

obzelite New Member

where are ppl down here getting their abs filament from?

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

This guy on eBay has reasonable buy it now prices and you can get a lower price using auction. ABS comes sealed with desiccant and seems to work ok.

goldenwattle-au

3. PhilKenSebben

PhilKenSebben New Member

I ordered 5 spools of ABS from http://www.3dprintingsolutions.com.au/ who actually have the stuff delivered from NZ. So regardless of where you are it should be relatively easy to get it sent, and for me it took around 3 days to be delivered.

4. poxcx

poxcx Member

5. Kevyn Watkins

Kevyn Watkins New Member

Late reply I know, but relevant none the less. I have a couple of spools of PLA from http://www.repraper.com/ who seem to be closed now. It was cheap filament and prints mostly OK, though not great. A few bubbles from moisture every so often, even after I've baked it.

The rest of my filament is from bilbycnc, great service and great filament from them so far. Both PLA and ABS. I've also got a Spool of there Nylon but haven't played with it yet. Though they list it as printable at 220, so I should be able to print it wiht the stock nozzle.

I don't recommend the sample packs though, they are a huge pain to respool onto something useable. Just pick a colour and get a kilo of it.

6. Kevyn Watkins

Kevyn Watkins New Member

Late reply I know, but relevant none the less. I have a couple of spools of PLA from http://www.repraper.com/ who seem to be closed now. It was cheap filament and prints mostly OK, though not great. A few bubbles from moisture every so often, even after I've baked it.

The rest of my filament is from bilbycnc, great service and great filament from them so far. Both PLA and ABS. I've also got a Spool of there Nylon but haven't played with it yet. Though they list it as printable at 220, so I should be able to print it wiht the stock nozzle.

I don't recommend the sample packs though, they are a huge pain to respool onto something useable. Just pick a colour and get a kilo of it.

7. obzelite

obzelite New Member

not happy with this guy at all, bought two spools, only one has arrived yet he claims both came in the same bag.
    there is no way two spools would even fit in the same bag, plus it took close to 3 weeks before he sent it anway.
    lodged a paypal dispute, will see where that gets me. but as it stands i would advise not using him.

8. AxisLab

AxisLab Well-Known Member

Ouch. Yeah that sounds like something to worry about.
    I have been ordering straight from Robo3d here so far. Thay are running low right now I see but have a good selection when it comes in. When Ive ordered it has been super fast and really stable filament. Gone through 2 spools so far with 3 more coming this week so I will update after that.

EDIT: I'm sorry I just re-read this post is about ABS. I have been using the PLA and that's what I was talking about. Forgive me, I dont know about the ABS from them but when it's time I will give it a shot for sure.

9. Kevyn Watkins

Kevyn Watkins New Member

The frieght from Robo3D is killer though, must be costing you a fortune.

10. AxisLab

AxisLab Well-Known Member

Ah, Again I must apologize. When I checked my recent activity list this was at the top of the list and I was reading on my phone, I see now this is focused on Australia And very clearly in the printers from around the world thread. I had not seen that thread before.
    I am in America and feel foolish now.
    Sheesh, I was wrong about both clearly this being about ABS AND for another country than mine... I am no help at all lol.
    Note to self: When is's 2AM here and you're tired.... Just go to bed...
    Sorry.

11. Kevyn Watkins

Kevyn Watkins New Member

No worries Axis. Getting it shipped from Robo isn't out of the question, but the freight charges out of the US are exorbitant. Maybe if they find a carrier with slow but cheap freight it might become viable. I would like to buy from them to support them if at all feasible.

I order stuff from sparkfun and adafruit on occasion, I've found the untracked, cheap, by canoe freight options (Such as FedEx International Mail Service (FIMS)) to be reliable enough for orders under a couple of hundred dollars. I believe USPS has a similar option though it might impose a smaller weight limit. I've had Newhaven Displays shipped via that option. Takes about the same amount of time as Hong Kong post does to here.

12. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I'd put in a vote for 3dprintergear.com.au? They sell some good materials and their owner is pretty active on the pp3dp (afinia and up printers) forum.
    You guys also have diamond age in NZ, so you can get some of their good materials for less than I can in the US :)

13. Kiah

Kiah New Member

Thought I'd mention another filament provider;
    http://www.modfab.com.au/product-category/filament/

$36.50 for 1kg of 1.75mm PLA. ABS is around $10 more.
    $11 shipping

Eastern states based, packages got here (perth) in less than a week.

Packaging is damn good.
    Haven't tested quality of plastic yet (arrived this morning), but looks pretty good by eye.

14. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

I'm using PLA from 3dprintergear.com.au and have been finding it good. I also have some ABS to try at some point but need to get this PLA down pat and some bits printed first. Let us know how you go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. Kingbob

Kingbob Active Member

I got 2 spools of ABS from Bilbycnc.com.au.
    Some people have reported issues with them, but mine arrived quick and easy. Yet to see how the material prints though.

16. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

3dprintergear.com.au have a 20% off filament sale on at the moment, I ordered another 4 spools as I'm very happy with their filament, though I don't really need it. More colours is always good :)

17. Kevyn Watkins

Kevyn Watkins New Member

Jaycar is now selling ABS and PLA in both 3 and 1.75mm. Not sure on quality or colours, but they list for $45 per kg for single buy, or 40 bucks for 3+ buy

2 people like this.
  18. Saxon

Saxon New Member

I did use this guy for 1kg of ABS and 2kg of PLA, however filament was kinda crap, didnt print the best and packaging wasn't the crap.

3dprintergear.com.au is who I am using now. Jamie is great, he normally ships the same day I order, and very help full and quick to respond to customer service emails.

So far I have printed of used 1kg of 'Australian' ABS which went well, half way through a 'Standard' ABS roll, prints nice and comes with a sticker with recommended print temps on it, which is nice IMO. I have some PLA and Premium ABS that I havnt tried yet. Will update when I start to use them.

Also anyone know if and where you can get this carbon fiber in Australia?

EDIT: Might also like to know that 3dprintergear.com.au has and EOFY sale which i think is 20% off all filaments till 30th June.

#18 Saxon, Jun 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2014
    2 people like this.
  19. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I can ship you some carbon fiber with your enclosure. Won't really add much in the way of shipping either.

I'm in contact with the manufacturer pretty regularly, so I'll check in and let you know if they have an AU reseller.

20. Saxon

Saxon New Member

Thanks Matt, I sent you a message. :)