1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Finishing Bamboofill

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by milks, Jun 28, 2015.

1. milks

milks Member

Just printed this large part with Bamboofill and now I'm having a poke around the internet for finishing tips.

Most finishing techniques with wood filaments involve sanding though I'm hesitant to go down this route. Firstly it's laborious (there will be three more parts of this size to process) but more significantly bamboofill seems to lose a lot of it's nice golden colour when sanded (see the pale patch on the second photo)

The alternative is solvent polishing, however since this is PLA based the solvent would have to be tetrahydrofuran which is a carcinogen and mammalian mutagen, not something I really want to get involved with unless I really have to.

The unfinished print is actually pretty good, it has a soft sheen and a nice colour so I'm leaning towards doing nothing more than applying a clear stain but thought I'd cast the question to your good selves first to see if there was anything else worth considering before I proceed.

Thanks y'all!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You can treat it like wood so if you sand it you can stain/finish it with whatever you like.
    If you do really like the color it printed at then, yea, just a clear finish it.

MEK will also do some polishing on PLA based stuff, but (see my other thread on this) it is not any healthier for you and stateside MEK substitute is what you are likely to get (it still works, but is slightly less deadly).

To finish let me say nothing I have found polishes PLA as good as acetone does for ABS.

3. milks

milks Member

Thanks Mark, kind of what I thought