1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

First 3D Printer

Discussion in 'United States of America' started by Ted, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Ted

Ted New Member

Today i just bought my first 3D Printer. I did quite a bit of research and i was going either buy robo or "The Beast" but then i thought about it for a while then i went uhh Big printer with 4 Hot Ends is not a good idea so i just bought a Robo. I watched a lot of videos about the Robo and getting started and upgrades and all that so along with buying the printer i also bought these items
    • Rotary Tool Kit
    • LCD Full Graphic Smart Display Controller for RepRap RAMPS 1.4
    • HATCHBOX 3D PLA-1KG
    • Electronic Digital Caliper

So let me know if i should buy something else to get started and also i need to learn how to update the firmware for Marlin, i know how to make the LCD work with the stock firmware but i watched a video where the guy said something about updating the LCD to Marlin 1.1.0 by WheresWaldo so i need to look into that, but other than that i am going to have fun with the Robo fixing up my car and making my pc better :D.
    [​IMG]

WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
  2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Ted,

That is a very good starting list. I think you will find the LCD is the most valuable of all those upgrades.

Also as you near the end of the spool of PLA try something like PETG, You will find that it will hold up better in environments like closed cars (Winter or Summer). BTW, my firmware thread is up to RC6 and hoping RC7 will be out 'any day now.'

Ted and danzca6 like this.
  3. Ted

Ted New Member

Yea i may need some help with putting your firmware as it looks better and feels "high quality" i went to a local 3d print hub kind of thing to check out their setup and all that they had your firmware on their LCD but i don't have any clue on how i can even get it to my printer i haven't gotten the printer yet shipping says arriving tomorrow so hopefully its all good and in good shape nothing broken and what not anyways is there a guide on how i can update it to your firmware or a video.
    Thanks

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Ted welcome! Awesome getting started list right off the bat!

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Lots of videos on how to upgrade Marlin are all over the web. My thread has complete instructions on getting the source files and which set of configuration files you need. I would suggest using RC6 and not the newer RCBugFix. Instructions for both are in that thread.

6. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

Welcome to the wonderful world of 3d Printing and your new Robo!!

Great bunch of guys here, lots of helpful suggestions.