1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

First layer off

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Knighrider, Dec 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knighrider

Knighrider New Member

So this just started happening. It prints the border of the first layer and then when it does the fill it is roughly a centimeter off on the y-axis (bed) I assume this is a slicer problem, all of a sudden. What causes this? I searched the forum several times and can't find an answer. It does it on both the raft and the actual print, otherwise I would just let it go. Only on the first layer of section mentioned. [​IMG]

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Not to ask the obvious question, but what slicers have you tried?

3. Knighrider

Knighrider New Member

Originally it was matter control. But since that one all but crapped out when it came to slicing, and I finally got cura to work (or so I thought) I have been using that one.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, on the free front, you can still try Repetier.
    If it is a slicer issue, that will swap out that component. If the behavior changes then you can at least confirm it is a slicer issue.
    MC was never a working product for me, Cura usually worked but when it failed it failed spectacularly.
    Of the free ones, the one that worked best was Repetier host. I was able to create various profiles and tune them to work pretty consistently.

5. Knighrider

Knighrider New Member

Got it. Well I'm waiting on the parts for the y axis upgrade to get here before I mount the heated bed that finally came in. I will mess with software once I get it back together. Didn't know if it was a simple fix. Thanks

6. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

The other obvious question - does this show up in the gocde. I'm not sure about in MatterControl but in Repetier you can view individual layers or a range of layers.

I would try the newest Slic3r release within Repetier host. I'm don't remember if MatterControl allows Slic3r.

7. Knighrider

Knighrider New Member

Slice3r is one of the 3 slice engines matter control uses.

And I'm clueless when it comes to code lol

8. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Again ...does this show up in the gocde?

9. Knighrider

Knighrider New Member

Again, I'm clueless when it comes to code

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Repetier, and others, allow you to look at individual layers or the entire model layer-by-layer. You should be able to look at that view and see what is happening (i.e. is the offset in the sliced layers).
    No need to look at code, this is done in the UI in the sliced model render.

11. Knighrider

Knighrider New Member

I will look at it in cura then when I get home. If it will load from the sd card. Been having issue with that as well. I can save to it but not open same file in full from it.

12. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Knighrider, please read our statements carefully - "...you can view individual layers or a range of layers." Most of the host programs contain gcode viewers. There are also on-line viewers.

13. Knighrider

Knighrider New Member

I figured that out with Mark's post. Yours made it seem like you wanted me to look at the actual code and decipher it.

14. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

I have not seen Slic3r make an error. I use all 3 apps, MC, Repetier and Cura.

Are you sure this is not a case of either a loose bolt, set screw or it could also be the wiring harness is getting jammed or in the way so that your extruder could not move properly but on subsequent moves does not jam up on something?

15. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

Slic3r 1.1.7, the latest stable version, had a slight tool path error for me. I solved it by rotating the part 1 degree, it then sliced it correctly.

2 people like this.
  16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, in all fairness I have been able to make slic3r and cura fail in some form or another over the past couple of years.
    Switching to another slicer worked in those cases (and I have even been able to make Simplify3D generate bogus slice with one screwed up model--their support folks figured it out and sorted it for me).

17. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

I definitely have had Slic3r generate insane prints a few times even from well behaved, manifold STLs. I always scan through the layers with the gcode previewer before printing.

18. Knighrider

Knighrider New Member

No its not in the viewer. I couldn't open the complete file from the sd card so I recreated the print file and viewed it then saved it to sd card again. Then started the print just to make sure it wasn't fixed and it's still off.

19. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Not in the gcode so the problem is mechanical with the Y axis. Is it really 1cm off? It looks less than that in the photo. Did you mean to specify zero solid bottom layers?

Of course it is strange if it is consistently a shift only on the bottom infill. Then again perhaps the first layer has more drag and can stall the stepper or slip the pulley. Did you check the tightness of the Y stepper pulley set screw and the two bolts for the guide bearings? Also make sure your hot end does not wiggle in the carriage. If any of these were the problem I would expect the shift to be more random and not tied to a the first layer. Is there any stiction on the Y axis?

20. Knighrider

Knighrider New Member

Didn't measure, it was a guesstimate since it varies each time. It only does it from the first layer wall to first layer infill. On both the raft and the print. After that it's fine. If it was only on the intial layer I wouldn't worry about it since it would be in the raft only.

The y-axis parts should be in today so I will inspect the hardware when I swap the rails and bed out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.