1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved First layer support seems broken and sticking up

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by NaughtyGarfield, Jun 14, 2016.

1. NaughtyGarfield

Today I tried to print something that I wanted to print for a while but the first time I tried was with MC and the whole support was a solid piece. since I got the S3D and I figure I should try again and I couldn't even past the first lay without seeing broken support and things sticking up.. Is this a temperature issue? What can be the cause of this?

I have no problem print stuff recently, most of them came out pretty good. However very thing support like this will give me this kind of issue and I wonder how to fix this?

Attached Files:

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Looks like possibly an adherence issue. What are you using on the glass? Bed temp?

Edit: you did set your z offset correctly as well? It looks good in the picture from what i can tell but figured id ask

#2 Geof, Jun 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

and material...can't tell by looking.

NaughtyGarfield and Geof like this.
  4. NaughtyGarfield

Sorry that I wasn't specific.. I used the same settings and normally pretty much everything I print was fine, but seems when I am printing finer support such as this, it have the little spikes at corners or ends that will messed up the next layer.

So here is what I have used:
    Hatchbox PLA Silver
    Bed Temp: 60
    Just the Glass and Also tried the Blue Tape
    Extruder Temp: 195 (which is fine on everything else I print)

Sorry Geof, I don't know how to set the Z offset. I noticed the first couple of seconds, nothing came out from the nozzle and that some time messed up the prints from my previous print on the blue tape. When there is nothing come out from nozzle at first print, is that too hot or too cold? You can see some filament coming out when calibrating and when it's ready to print nothing come out for a few seconds.. lol

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I use a skirt to get the nozzle flowing without affecting the print itself. I believe that's what your referring to as nothing coming out. For s3d you go to start up script and there you'll find your z offset is set to 1.0 by default (assuming your using the default. Drop it to -.9 and see if that helps. You want a nice squished first layer.

NaughtyGarfield likes this.
  6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I also use hair spray on the bed to help with adhesion but you don't "need" it as pla can print on plain glass

7. NaughtyGarfield

Hello GeoF, duh me.. Sorry so new at this.. I remember you told me about it.. Currently I have the Z offset at -0.8 and that was the result.

Yeah I might have to make more skirt layers, as 1 seems like isn't enough.. I will give it a shot. Thank you!

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

No apologies needed :)

If the z is at-.8 drop it to -.75 and see what it does. If it's still lifting try lower still. What's your first layer speed?

9. NaughtyGarfield

My first layer speed is at 50%. Is lower the percentage the slower the movement? My normal print -0.8 is perfect, however I will lower it and report back. Thanks Geof!

Geof likes this.
  10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes lower % is slower speed.