1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partial Answer First printing issue, now ramps issue?!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Cody Holland, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Cody Holland

Cody Holland Member

So after going through 3 replacement robo thermistors then a replacement extruder (and 2 glass beds), I finally switch to a E3D V6, at the suggestion of other. After I got everything wired in, I tried a print and it didn't turn out well, [​IMG]
    on FB i was told to PID tune it, I did that, adjusted the z offset and even took the entire extruder apart again to check for clog (there were none). The prints still looked like the above. So I gave up, left it unplugged for a week. I came back to it and the motors are none responsive. FB group said to update the firmware, I did that and no change. I contacted support and they said the ramps are fried and need to be replaced for $75. I can not afford to sink that much more money into this printer, is there another option or something else I should check first?

2. Cody Holland

Cody Holland Member

So I updated the firmware with this I found, and all the motors move again, but the Z axis is not level and keeps popping off...

Attached Files:

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

4. Cody Holland

Cody Holland Member

Yes I know that the second one is the incorrect one. As i said the first time i updated it with the correct one it effed up my ramp motors, only when i updated it incorrect one did it allow my motor to even move at all

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Generic RAMPS is $15 and we have a thread detailing how to migrate away from the Robo one: http://community.robo3d.com/index.p...and-rewiring-to-make-generic-ramps-work.8356/

There is NOTHING in the firmware that would affect the RAMPS physically the only difference in all of the R1 firmware versions is what they are configured for using as Z steps -- the Z steps/mm is different for the Beta/R1/R1+

that is it :) There are a few underlying Marlin changes since the Marlin version increased over that time, but nothing there that will not work on any of the R1's -- bottom line is that firmware changes will not damage your RAMPS. If it died it was already on the way out.

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

and yes, I have made the mistake a time or two about loading the wrong firmware on a machine and really (seriously folks) all that you notice is that the Z axis is totally whack in terms of how it moves :) Your prints will be unworkable. Smack forehead, reload correct firmware and you are back in business.

Geof likes this.