1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Flexible filaments jam in feed gear

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Aron Katz, May 15, 2018.

1. Aron Katz

Aron Katz New Member

I have had this R2 for a short time and there has been no issues with any PLA filaments that I have been using here. However, when getting to the flexible ones, nothing but trouble.

I have/had a roll of TPU and TPE and constantly like clockwork, a whole bunch just coils up behind the feed gear. From what I can tell it keeps slipping out of place even when feed through properly. Nothing else has given trouble at all but these. I have been lucky enough to pull it and get it to retract out, other times I have had to cut the TPE out and hope not damage that gear.

What is causing this? I mean for a time it does extrude through and suddenly jams. No clicking, just a big mess of TPE balled up behind the gear.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There are other threads here on using flexible filaments and while the R2/C2 are easier than the R1, you still have to make some adjustments in how you print. Print speed must be slowed down by a significant amount or the filament will bind as you are seeing.
    Start by reducing the print speed to 1/4 of the normal and test from there, you may need to go slower or you may be able to speed it up. Here is one thread from the forum, use the search if you want to locate others:

http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/success-with-ninjaflex-or-other-flexible.19610/

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

P.S. you may even have to go slower. I have not tried printing flexibles on the C2/R2 yet, but the R1/R1+ have to go a fraction of the normal speed in order to work with them. The direct extruders on the R2/C2 are better than the GregsWade on the R1 series for printing flexibles, but neither is perfect for it.

4. drbanks

drbanks Active Member

I've got a sample of, I think, nGen flexible I'm anxious to try out. Not expecting success, but I hope to see something resembling being half-way dialed in before I go through the entire sample (which is, from memory, either 10m or 15m).

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Just set the print speed to "OMG that is slow!" and it will likely work :)
    Then you can experiment up in speeds.

drbanks and WheresWaldo like this.
  6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Why can I only LIKE a post and not LOVE a post?

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. drbanks

drbanks Active Member

And we all thought that 3D printers were slow before...