1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved found my heated bed problem, but what now....

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by wthierry, Dec 29, 2014.

1. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

So I seem to have found the problem with the heated bed... printer arrived only last tuesday... looking at the pics, what to do now???? I never heated it more than 70 degrees, I kept everything at the default settings in matter control

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

I am tempted to replace the connector, but does anyone know if it could be the ramps board? i pulled out the negative power for the heated bed on the board, was clean as can be,no signs of shorting out.... I have the latest firmware on the board from shortly after unboxing it....

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Contact Robo (via main page) setup a one-on-one.
    They had resolved this problem in the past by removing those connectors.
    Either you can do that yourself or have them fix it. Frankly I am a little surprised that those are still shipping like that.

If you want to repair it yourself get some decent connectors (I like Anderson Powerpoles) something rated at 11a or more (max the RAMPS can source). Since this is new I'd suggest getting them to take care of it.

4. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

I ended up just soldering the wires directly to each other. If I need to remove it in the future, Ill just unplug it from the board. As long as the problem was not on the Ramps board....Hoping that is not the case.

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Sometimes a short like that can damage the ramps. There's only 2 components on the heater supply, the mosfet and the polyfuse. It may also have blown a trace in addition to the other components.

That's a bummer man. Especially since you just use it at 70C that's very strange.

6. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

seems ok after soldering, Robo is sending out a replacment cable I can add on once I get it.... All is right in the world again

3 people like this.
  7. Kingbob

Kingbob Active Member

Yeah i had almost the exact same problem. I dont believe its the heat from the bed causing the damage to the plug.

In my case i suspect the failed MOSFET caused the damage to the plug. My bed would heat uncontrolled, suggesting the MOSFET failed open, possibly causing an over current/voltage in the power to the bed, resulting in the overheating/damage to the plug. When i looked at the solder joint on the MOSFET one joint did look suspect as though overheated, and replacing it did resolve the uncontrolled heating.

I think I got a pack of 5 for about $10.

8. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

I was told by Robo that it was the connector on the bed, when the bed moves back and forth it can cause shorts in the connector because of the movement. My Ramps board had all good connections, so it wasn't there.

9. David Sparrow

David Sparrow Member

If you do replace it yourself use anderson powerpole connectors off of Amazon. You can get various amperages.

2 people like this.
  10. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

the new one wires differently, so its not an issue.... Thanks!!