1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Free 3D Printing Software

Discussion in 'Software' started by zachmatts10, Jul 10, 2013.

1. zachmatts10

zachmatts10 New Member

Although I have a ton of things picked out on thingiverse that I will eventually want to print, I also would like to design some things myself. I am currently a student so I don't exactly have a huge budget and any extra money i have i would rather spend on filament rather than software. I was wondering if there was any good softwares for free. I know of google sketchup and autodesk but I those both cost quite a bit. I am just wondering if it is worth making that one time payment for a good software or if there are currently free softwares I can get away with using.

2 people like this.
  2. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Autodesk has a free version. Tinkercad too.

3. da9l

da9l Member

What about the maker version of sketchup or is it too limited to be of any use?

4. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Depending on your skill set, the previously mentioned tinkercad and sketchup. Also, openscad and freecad. Blender is free and super powerful as well, but is a totally. Sculptris is fun, but you're not going to design any mechanical parts in it.

As a student, you should be able to get student pricing. That can get you some great packages for relatively cheap.

If your school has an engineering department, you may want to check out their computer labs. Odds are they have some licenses you can use.

5. zachmatts10

zachmatts10 New Member

Those are really good suggestions. My big thing is i would love to do it on my computer so the thing at school might be tough but maybe I could look into getting the license key from them or I might just make the small investment...

6. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

It appears to be a slicer and no modeling software. The bit where it allows you visual control over support placement is interesting, but other than that, there are too few details on the site about it's capabilities. Unless they offer a free trial, I'd avoid it.

7. fabrice

fabrice New Member

Hello, what do you recommend as a really simple software for beginners?

8. polylac

polylac New Member

I use freeCAD.
    It sometimes has it's problems, but it's for free and I think pretty simpel to use and you get a lot of possibilities. But of course it takes some hours to get into it.