1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Full color FDM printing without multiple spool or addins

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by WheresWaldo, Sep 28, 2017.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

2. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I think this will work with Nylon filament too.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Don't see why not, most nylon can be dyed with standard RIT dyes.

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

No priming or purge layers needed here.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

seemed like crazy high operating costs and the details arnt refined yet but a cool tech to see coming out.

6. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

So you have to use their filament because it's chipped. I've seen some prints from the SD card that are vibrant, but ones where other designers colored their models it looks a bit washed out. So there must be adjustments you have to tune in to get that vibrant color. Also, I saw one designer take XTC (sp?) and coated the colored part. That helped with bringing out the color and smoothed it out nice. It's an interesting direction. There are some youtube videos on first impressions out there. Curious to see where this goes for final release.

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

A lot of printer manufacturers what to force consumable choices on you. Just look at HP. You can rest assured that in order for 3D printers to become a commodity, proprietary consumables will become a requirement. I see promise in the fact that at the very least it gives us on the 'a bit less than bleeding edge' ideas of how to make stuff like this work.

I have experimented with highlighter ink on nylon filament and it works, about as well as this, with a bit duller color impact.

I wonder what the time penalty is for multi-color printing using this method.

8. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

The claim is that color changes will be almost as quick as they are on a regular inkjet printer. Which ought to be faster than the current purge-pillar color switching, but not as fast as, say, a color laser printer.

Having the ability to support proper full-color and gradients will be fun for the people that are fine with printing in PLA all the time though.

Nylon might be trickier depending on how hot the hotend on that machine can get and how well the surrounding components will take that increased heat.

9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Not really interested in this printer, just the tech used.

10. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

The "funny" thing with that brand though is that they're hurting themselves with it... They have a reputation of their consumables being of poor quality, and since you can only use those kinda renders the otherwise pretty good and affordable printer not worth it.

Looked at them some time ago and for both their FDM and SLA printers there were many reports of people hacking the filament chipping and saying it printed much better even with material half the price...