1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Gcode Question

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Aflickted, Jan 11, 2018.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

OK, if the lines on the sides are the primary problem (the ribbing) have you tried this on another R1 (not the +, an R1) or was it another type of printer entirely? Some Z ribbing is actually 'built in' to the R1 (which is why the R1+ happened) due to the couplers and Z rods. However start with looking at the suggestions in the link. I don't think the Z ribbing was that pronounced. You can see it here on the forum by looking through the older Z ribbing posts like this one (where he actually fixed it too) : http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/honest-critisim-on-z-ribbing.6890/

2. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

3. Aflickted

Aflickted Member

Both of mine are R1's. I don't have anything else except those two printers. Yeah, I don't think it's Z banding but I'm at a loss right now. I do have threaded rods and stepper motors that I linked earlier in this thread. I tried to figure out the calculator but I'm not sure sure if i did it right. I think I need to change my steps to 400 with what I have.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is not a crisis if you get it wrong and pretty easy to test on-the-fly to make sure it is right :) (the Z steps)
    If you have leadscrews I would install them. You know the default threaded rods can cause this effect (maybe not to this degree, hard to say). If you really want to pursue it as-is sanity check that the couplers are both tight (on both ends). If one gets loose it will make the problem worse.

5. Aflickted

Aflickted Member

Thanks Mark. That’s really all I can do at this point. I’ve already done the PID tuning, extruder calibration and all the other little checks I know to do or how to do. I’ve already checked the helical couplers, a few times. I’ve tried speed, temp. It’s probably something so simple that I’m missing. That’s why I’ve been picking all of your brains. You guys have been around the block a few more times than me lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Given what you've been through so far, I'd be more willing to bet on it being the Z banding. Some folks had it more extreme than others. The R1+ has been out long enough that we tend to forget that this was ever a 'thing' :)

7. Aflickted

Aflickted Member

So I think my pitch is 8mm (4 thread start with 2mm spacing). My motor step angle is 1.2Degrees. How do i find..
    Driver Microstepping?
    Pitch Preset? ( would that be M8 since its a T8x8 leadscrew?)
    Gear Ratio?

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Gear ratio is irrelevant (direct driven)
    your motor step angle is 1.8 (200 steps/rev)
    Microstepping is controlled by the RAMPS and should be 1/16
    Post a link to the leadscrews and we can get the threading/pitch/etc and run it through the calculator.

9. Aflickted

Aflickted Member

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member