1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Gcode/slicing questions

Discussion in 'Software' started by insomniac_lemon, Sep 18, 2014.

1. insomniac_lemon

Does Gcode support the option of different layer heights for different layers (besides the 1st layer)? What about different infill densities for different layers, besides solid/nonsolid? If so, are these planned features for any slicers?

If you aren't sure what I'm asking, the reason I ask is because of detail, as well as accuracy. On a print, it might have smooth surfaces and a sudden need in detail..... which causes a situation where you don't need a small layer height except on a small area of a print, which means you choose either a faster print time or loss in detail.

It'd also be nice for height accuracy. the last layer(s) could be done at a height that will fill it in to where it should be, rather than as close as it can get with the selected layer height. You'd also be able to use a more dense infill pattern on the topmost layer, to get a smoother top (smaller ridges).

I feel like if any of the slicers would have it in the future, it'd be Slic3r. It'd be really awesome if stuff like this was possible to do with Gcode, and seeing it implemented, improving 3D printing that much more.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes, you can do that with some software. I have done it with Simplify3D. You create different processes for the layer ranges you want to be different.

http://www.simplify3d.com/support/tutorials/different-settings-for-different-regions-of-a-model/

They have a lot of tutorials, starting from easy to advanced.

While it is a total guess, if there were another slicer to do this it would be Skeinforge. I just don't have the know-how on that one. I am not certain that it can, but it does have a lot of options/variations to configure.

#2 mark tomlinson, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2014