1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Getting ABS to stick.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by KTMDirtFace, May 22, 2015.

1. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Didn't want to clutter the bed level thread up since I got that working now.

Whats a good bed temp for ABS on this thing?

I'm using Simplify3d and printing in ABS with some glue stick. Stock S3D settings which have a bed heat of 80..that is way to low for ABS on glass+glue stick isn't it? I think i usually use 100C on my modded replicator 2.

Z offset of -0.9 and my print didn't want to stick came out like this. ( it was basically not sticking at all on the permimeter passes. )
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So I changed it to -0.7 and it stuck but was probably too close as it was real thin and the first layer was getting mucked up by the print head...but it printed. like this
    [​IMG]

-0.8 will probably be just right.. I may have to change the first layer in S3D to extrude more material because even ant -0.7 the print came off the bed super super easy. When I print PLA its usually a wrestling match to get my prints off..prying on them for a long time with diffrent scrapers etc.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I use 100c, but
    a) I seldom do ABS any longer (although we did a lot of it early on)
    b) the newer Robo has a firmware limit of 85c (so you would need to mod the firmware to go higher).

I think as long as you have the ribbon cable bed connector (or none at all like a Beta) then you are fine going hotter.

3. KTMDirtFace

Thanks yea I have two machines ( modded Rep2, and a Robo3d) so whichever one is able to print ABS better is going to be my designated ABS monkey.
    Have modded my firmware already for my LCD, so i'll try to find that bed heat limit. I have the ribbon cable.

PLA is soooo much easier though, though the robo's nozzle cooling isn't good stock for PLA.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

This is why with all the new PLA variants and specialty filaments (Yay! Nylon) I have never gone back to ABS. It is not worth the hassles for any project I have had to do.

5. KTMDirtFace

I have some colorFabb XT on the way.. might ditch ABS if that stuff works out.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

XT is awesome. You will not be disappointed with that.

P.S. and this is an excellent example of the PLA alternatives I mentioned. There are a lot of them (Carbon Fiber for example).

#6 mark tomlinson, May 22, 2015
    Last edited: May 22, 2015
    KTMDirtFace likes this.
  7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I like 100C for ABS but it's a tad on the hot side. Then I use hairspray. Works well imo.

An enclosure doesn't hurt anything either.

8. KTMDirtFace

Solved: with BuildTak :) ( well other than some warping.. i think more heat - im still using 80 - and enclosure is needed for that )

#8 KTMDirtFace, May 23, 2015
    Last edited: May 23, 2015