1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Getting back to my Robo3D

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Dan, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Dan

Dan Guest

Hi,

I ordered a Robo3d ABS+PLA before they started shipping (Is this called the 'Beta Model' now?). I didn't have much time to play with it but what I did print was pretty poor quality. My biggest problem was layers were never really aligned and circles were never round. So I put the printer away and haven't played with it in over a year.

Now I have a couple projects I'd like to work on and printing some parts would be great.

I've printed a couple of test objects today, after installing the MatterControl 1.2 software, and I'm still getting the layer misalignement problem.

My question is... are there any upgrades to the printer, either hardware or software (I noticed some y-axis upgrade kit), that I should do to the printer now that its well over a year old and came from the first shipments?

Thanks!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I'd start by checking the entire drive train (X and Y). Belts tightened, motor sprockets and cogs all tight.
    The betas had a huge issue with loose drive train components (I know, mine too). This is probably the main source of your non-round circles.

The Y axis upgrade kit is now a do-it-yourself (there is a thread on this) since Robo3D is not stocking it.

As for software upgrades... move off of MatterControl :)
    There are far better free alternatives if you don't want to spend the money for something like Simplify3D.

3. Dan

Dan Guest

Thanks Mark. I'll check out Simplify3d. I'm not opposed to switching but I've never used anything other than Repetier and Slicer so I'm always leery of software changes (even MatterControl was annoying at first even though it looks like a skin on Repetier).

I'll start by tightening things up but is the Y axis upgrade worth it? If it's a big difference in quality I'm in.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

MC is a skinned version of repetier.

Autolevel and Y axis upgrades are the best upgrades thus far.

I never trusted the drawer slides and really liked the Y axis upgrade. I need to get around to publishing my revision on thingiverse. It's based on their design with some upgrades to improve print-ability.

BOM:
    4x LM8UU linear bearings
    8-12x M3-40mm length screws
    8-12x M3 lock nuts
    2x M4 Nut
    2x M4-10mm Screw
    8x 3/8" (10mm) x 1/8" (3mm) neodymium magnets
    2x 8mm - 406mm length Linear Rods

CA glue or two part epoxy is good for gluing the magnets to the bed/plastic. I used 2 part plastic epoxy

2 brackets and tensioners
    4 pillow blocks

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h8bkcuf665xyoe1/AAAO0UBjN6zqyXC9_QTRJ59za?dl=0

#4 Mike Kelly, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2015