1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Getting Cura to work.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Chrisinnewark, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Chrisinnewark

Chrisinnewark Member

Gentleman, thank you very much for your help. It's greatly appreciated.
    Unfortunately it's late here (later than I realised) so I will have to put off sorting my Cura out to another day when I have the time.
    Thanks again for your help.
    Oh and Marquis, I do enjoy your videos. I find them very informative. :)

Marquis Johnson likes this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There is only one Z axis detection switch (attached to one of the threaded rods) and triggered by an adjustable screw on the X axis.

To level the bed more easily you need to install something like these:
    http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/bed-leveling-ideas.822/page-2#post-4506

Then adjust them to actually make the bed as level as possible.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I then use something like the circlebedlevel model to make sure it is even everywhere. Only one layer thick.

Attached Files:

4. Chrisinnewark

Chrisinnewark Member

That seems to have fixed it. Many thanks again.
    As the Beta version of the printer doesn't come with a heated bed (or I didn't pay the extra for one) I've had to comment out the M190 line as well otherwise it just got stuck there perpetually trying to heat the bed. I know, sucks to be me eh. Lol

5. Marquis Johnson

Marquis Johnson Active Member

AWESOME! Glad to hear it. Didn't know these used to not have heated beds either.
    And you appoligized for your ignorance before...

Happy Printing with Cura!

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, the old style Robo you could buy for PLA only or ABS/PLA (the difference being a heated bed).

@Chrisinnewark Adding a heated bed is not hugely hard so if you want to do that at some point we can help (but start a new thread)

7. Chrisinnewark

Chrisinnewark Member

Yup, I've got a proper early one. With the addition of painters tape I don't have any issues getting the prints to stick though.
    I spoke a bit too soon when I said everything was working fine though. I did a quick test and the hotend homed and did everything as expected and I thought everything was okay. I then tried to do an actual print and I found that the hotend is now too high above the bed. I'm thinking its to do with the M565 Z -0.8 line in the code. Am I right in thinking that this is a throwback to the auto bed levelling sequence? Does it probe the bed and then raise the hotend another 0.8mm or something? Or am I completely wrong there?
    I'm going to have a play with this figure and see what it actually does and see if I can get the hotend nearer the bed.
    The other option that I thought of was simply pinching the G Code that Repetier generates at the start ofprints and seeing if that would work in Cura.
    Again, I'm not sure if that's a viable option?

#27 Chrisinnewark, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  8. Chrisinnewark

Chrisinnewark Member

What are the benefits of a heated bed exactly?

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Being able to use filament types that want a heated bed. PLA does not so if all you are doing is PLA, not a problem without it.