1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Globs on first layer (using Simplify 3d)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Eric Viglotti, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Eric Viglotti

Eric Viglotti Member

Hello,

Both @Geof and @mark tomlinson have been super helpful in working through some of my previous issue and the suggestion to move from Cura to S3D has been amazing. I have included a "Cura vs S3D" comparison and the results are night and day, so thank you so much for pushing me in that direction!

I am using the stock S3D settings for PLA which is 200 extruder and 60 bed and I'm getting the results in the attached which look like big globs or something in the first layer. Granted one of the major improvements with going with S3D is the strong first layer which is very slow and thick, but this issue does kind of ruin the bottom face of the model. Is this a situation where 200 is still too hot for PLA or is there something else going on? I am using PEI on the build surface, but this doesn't look to be as much of an adhesion issue? If 200 is too hot, why is that their stock setting?

No rush as I have a note out to S3D as well...

Thanks!

Attached Files:

Geof likes this.
  2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Globs on the first layer usually indicate inadequate bed adhesion or needed to slightly decrease first layer multiplier. PLA likes to be extruded at the lowest possible temperature that flows correctly. You could try lowering it 5°C and trying again. 200°C puts the stock setting in the middle of temperature ranges for many flavors of PLA. You are finding out there is nothing Plug & Play about 3D printing and everything will need tweaks for your specific printer in your specific environment with your specific choice of filament.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

This. Nailed it.

Also for visual troubleshooting remember this:

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/print-quality-troubleshooting/

Geof likes this.
  4. Eric Viglotti

Eric Viglotti Member

Thanks so much to you both, I’ll give it a try. And I know this is all trial and error and I continue to do trial and much error, so I’m always looking for a little bit of a headstart so thank you :)

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Nature of the beast :)
    I spent a long time just getting my first acceptable print. New printers take some getting used to

6. Eric Viglotti

Eric Viglotti Member

I'm with you. Turns out I was one of the first recipients of an R2, so I've had it now awhile and had my R1+ about a year before that. Feel like I'm smarter and further ahead than I was originally. I think :)

Geof, WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.