1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Got Simplify3D

Discussion in 'Software' started by cosber, Oct 4, 2014.

1. cosber

cosber Active Member

After fighting the urge for a few months, I finally broke down and bought Simplify3D, hoping it's as wonderful as everyone says it is. I downloaded the Windows version for the PC that controls the printer, and also the Mac version so I can play with it sans the printer. One thing I thought strange, I loaded the same object on both machines, didn't change any of the settings and did "prepare to print". The build time and amount of filament were significantly different, with the PC doing it faster than the Mac. I don't understand what the computers have to do with the speed of the build or amount of filament used.

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Are you sure the settings on each were identical?

3. cosber

cosber Active Member

I didn't go through them all. I assumed that the Robo presets would be the same for both platforms, but I guess anything is possible.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I had no idea that Simplify had pre-sets for the RoBo?!

5. cosber

cosber Active Member

Yeah, must be the newest version. It's not listed on the website as one of the officially "supported" machines, but lo and behold, there it was!

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

My guess is they have different values between the two platforms. Now I might have reason to start using Simplify

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Lord knows they have helped me enough, they ought to be familiar wit it by now :)

8. rogwabbit

rogwabbit New Member

Actually it is listed as supported on their site but it's not in the tutorial / setup section.
    http://www.simplify3d.com/software/supported-printers/

I had to put my custom gcode to get it working as the startup script but once I figured that out, it's a nice software. It doesn't crash on me like matter control. and it is much faster slicing.

9. Herbert Jackson

Herbert Jackson New Member

Simplify3D works great. One small problem. Sometimes it will go to the home position then stop. (other times it will work just fine) I found that if I go to Matter control, home the Robo3d using the ALL button in the CONTROL menu every thing works fine.

10. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

I hadn't heard much about Simplify3D. Just went to their website and watched their video though, if it works anywhere near as well as it sounds, I might have to shell out that steep $140 license price and wash my hands of MatterControl.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You might be poor (afterwards) but you won't be sorry :)

12. Herbert Jackson

Herbert Jackson New Member

Go for it. It works great.

13. Mikethinks

Mikethinks Active Member

Most people who get it seem to think its good. I cant swallow the price tag, as I think its just a bit out of the reasonable for what you get range when software like Craftware is free and can make gcode for matter control and has customizable supports and several pathing options.

14. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

I just wish there was a trial software. Even if it could only do like 15 minute prints. You could test all the features you needed to with a 15 minute print.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, If you have something you want sliced... I'll generate the gcode for you.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I do wish they had a trial/test version, but a number of years ago I had the responsibility of handling a trial/demo version of a licensed software package we did and that was a total non-fun experience. It is hard to do right and they probably just opted not to waste the cycles on it.

Sure wish they did though. It is a good product and there were enough things to make it worth the cost for us, however we had to find that out the hard way.

17. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

I haven't been able to get straight gcode to print well for some reason. I bought one of those Smart LCD controller XXLs the other day, so hopefully I'll get gcode working well within the next week or so. After that I might ask you to generate some for me. My friends and I have been wanting to print some pieces for a Pokémon drinking game, but MatterControl doesn't want to generate support material on them. They don't turn out terrible, but they would look a lot better with some support material.k[​IMG]

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

With no tweaking Simplify is simply hands down the best when it comes to supports.
    You can't even tell where they were.

In all fairness those look like there is more going on that just needing supports.

19. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

Oh yeah, no doubt. I just got my RoBo 3D last week. Still a LOT to learn and play with, I'm just saying that it would have printed at least a little better if it had supports and wasn't just dropping plastic into the air over the arms, tails, cannons, etc.

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No doubt :)

Check the belts tight. Some of that looks like overshoot on the X and/or Y (that is what makes the edges not look clean).
    If you think it is tight enough, slow down the print speeds by 1/2 and see if it improves. If it does, not tight enough ...