1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Grinding noise/jitter while printing

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Will . I . Am, Jan 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Will . I . Am

Will . I . Am Member

Hello all!
    So recently I started noticing my printer seems to make a laud jitter or grinding sound when printing certain ways or objects. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. It doesn't seems to be normal and it seems like it's getting cought or possibly needs some lube? I'm new to printing so I'm not sure what's normal and what isn't yet! but from what I can observe I would say it just needs to be libricated but I can't confirm that. Any helpful tips or strategies for printing future prints are greatly appreciated.

FYI: printed on ROBO 3D R1+ V.1

Thanks in advance guys!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That is the printer trying to do a think strip of infill it appears.
    If it were doing that on normal (non-print) moves I would be worried.

That is the sound of the belt being tugged back-and-forth very quickly

3. Will . I . Am

Will . I . Am Member

I did change the settings to "vase" mode style of print so it would be hollow and take less filament. However I recently did another small print but very detailed of a bioshock vigor and it made the same grinding noise and quick tugging sensation back and forth like the video shown above. So this is to be expected when printing on a custom mode? Or is there an actual problem that I should look into getting resolved? Would adding lubricant help by any chance to the metal rods that guide the extruded back and forth?

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If it is the sound I think it is then it is just a prusa style printer doing its thing. You can not do much to affect it as it is a mechanical noise generated by fast movement of the drive/belt/stepper. I can get an actual "grinding noise' if the stepper tries to move and can't (something blocks it) that is a bad noise :)

Adding lubricant (lithium grease is my choice) to the rods is always a good idea. It may help. They used the cheapest LM8UU bearings so replacing them with better ones can also help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.