1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Hairspray Survey

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Thor, Dec 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

baby wipe+hair spray+ who knows what else LOL too much money.
    Looks to me like Frog tape works just fine.
    DSC06374.JPG

2. AutopsyTurvy

AutopsyTurvy Active Member

Some of us already have hair spray, baby wipes, and alcohol laying around. LOL tape, too much money. :p

2 people like this.
  3. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Just a little grounding on the 'too much money' discussion.
    I have 3 printers that I run quite often. I've gone through many many spools of filament.

In the entire year of 2013 I used about 1/2 a bottle of isopropyl alcohol, ~$3 and a bottle and a half of aquanet, so another $4.50. So, for an entire year, I used a grand total of about $8 to get my prints to stick.

Use whatever works best for you, but nobody should be thinking that the hair spray on glass method is somehow prohibitively expensive.

2 people like this.
  4. Deadwood

Deadwood Active Member

When I have tried hairspray (with out much success) I just dribbled a little water around the print and the hairspray dissolved as it is designed to be washed out in the shower. I only use a glue stick now but it took a few brands to find a brand that worked, pritt stick was useless and the best types I found where supermarket own brands and again completely dissolves with water

5. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

I also recommend the use of Aquanet 3 Extra Super Hold hairspray for PLA on borosilicate. It does contain the magic Acrylates Copolymer.

A very nice property of this and probably other hairsprays is that it is water soluble. I just dribble some drops of water around the print's perimeter wait a few minutes for it to soak under and the print releases pretty easily. Between prints I just wash off with a wet cloth and respray.

To protect the printer mechanism when spraying I use a cardboard mask made from the bottom of a shirt gift box with a square cutout. The box sides keep the spray in. To quickly dry the hairspray I heat the bed to 50 or 60C.

The only prints that I have difficulty with are tall, small diameter, hollow, thin-walled items or items with small contact area tabs extending from the main body (like a small puzzle piece). I should look into using brims for these situations.

I am about to try ABS for the first time. Anyone have luck with hairspray and ABS?

-Steve

6. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

Hair spray has different brands too.
    i have american CREW classic gel. Its kinda pricy but i didnt know any better and bought what another shopper mom suggested.
    Works well from what i see right now. Removal is not hard at all also.

I'll get 2 more cheep brands of hair gel today and give them a shot and post results which once work the best (if i would be able to compare. If it sticks, it works/If it removes eazy, it works)

7. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

does Aquanet 3 Extra Super Hold comes in gel ?

8. cosber

cosber Active Member

I started with blue tape and went to AquaNet hair spray. It sticks TOO good! I have to wait until the bed completely cools down, then it will pop off. In fact, I'm really po'd at myself. After spending hours getting my bed level and the z height proper and finally able to get consistently better prints, I got greedy and impatient and pried the print off before it was ready and all that manhandling messed up the level. Now I have to start all over again. I think the sheet of glass sounds like a good idea so you can remove it and print again while it cools. But, I think the way your 1st layer is put down has as much to do with sticking as what you put on the bed. When I had a good layer, it stuck fine on tape or glass. If you're having problems sticking, I'd look into that first.

9. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

So you have to heat the bed in order for aquanet to work ?
    I dont have to heat the bed for my hair gel to work.

10. cosber

cosber Active Member

Heating the bed just dries the spray faster.

11. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

Bed heat also softens the sprayed layer, making it sticky.
    Its like plastic sticks at higher temperature.
    Sugar does the same thing, but needs higher bed temp because filament is not heating it enough by its self on contact.

12. Racegrafix

Racegrafix Active Member

A sheet of vinyl worked flawlessly. That's the ticket.

13. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

I thought of something like that.
    Is it flat enough to print on ? Where do u get that sheet ?
    Have a pic ?
    Is it reusable forever or it wears out ?

14. Racegrafix

Racegrafix Active Member

http://www.signsupply.com/Vinyl/Oracal/641.asp

That's a different brand, but I would expect same results. I have some of that I will test next. $12 a 15" x 10 yard roll.

Its reusable multiple times, im sure it will wear out though. Its cheap enough though.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Can someone list the ingredients in the "Aquanet 3 Extra Super Hold" hairspray.

For those of us not in the US, finding another brand that works will be easier if we know what we are looking for.

If anyone has found a good brand available in Australia please post it.

Thanks

16. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Aquanet 3 Extra Super Hold hairspray:
    Water, dimethyl ether, SD alcohol, 40-B (alcohol denat.), VA/crotonates/vinly, neodecaoate copolymer, acrylates copolymer, aminomethyl propanol, sodium benzoate, cyclohexylamine, triethyl citrate, cyclopentasiloxane, fragrance.

Thor thinks that the key ingredient is Acrylates Copolymer.

Steve

2 people like this.
  17. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

18. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Steve.

Only brand I could find here (Melbourne) with Acrylates Copolymer is Sunsilk "Daring Volume" hairspray.

Alcohol, butane, isobutane, propane, water, Acrylates Copolymer, trehalose, polyvinylpyrrolidone, dimethicone, dimethicone copolyol, aminomethyl propanol, t-butyl alcohol,

Will give this a test.

19. warlocke

warlocke Active Member

I have been using Vidal Sassoon Extra Firm Hold (it was on sale too) with a slightly heated bed (40c) on Kapton Tape and have had zero issues with warping/sticking with PLA. Was working on the couple of ABS prints I tried as well but I needed to heat the bed to 80c.

Ingredients
    Water, Dimethyl Ether, Alcohol Denat, Va/Crotonates/Vinyl Neodecanoate Copolymer, Acrylates Copolymer, Aminomethyl Propanol, Glycereth-7 Triacetate, Ammonium Benzoate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Acetamide MEA, Cyclohexylamine, PEG-8 Dimethicone, Fragrance.

20. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I'm curious if the dme vs butane has any effect. I mean they turn to vapor so fast I kinda doubt it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.