1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved hardware error not thermistor related

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by austin campbell, Mar 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. austin campbell

austin campbell New Member

ive been getting a hardware error ,that m9999 to restart one, and ive had it before due to my thermistor which i replaced and fixed the problem but i just got it again I have a extra thermistor which i bought now knowing how fragile they are and swapped it in only to get the same error.
    need help dont know where to start looking not sd card printing using matter control
    and my thermistor is reading tempatures just fine
    gcode look like this

Attached Files:

#1 austin campbell, Mar 27, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Find the actual error.
    M999 is just Marlin telling you an error has already been reported.
    Silly, but true, it does that rather than repeating the error.
    Search the entire log to find the actual error.

If you can't find the error, reboot the printer and reconnect and wait for it to happen again... then search the terminal.

#2 mark tomlinson, Mar 27, 2018
  3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Also, the "thermistor" error you refer too can be an intermittent,sudden, rise or fall (usually a fall) in temperature that clears up immediately (but it has already caused the error). Bad connections to the thermistor or the RAMPS board (or even the Arduino failing) can do that.

Until you get the actual error from Marlin we are guessing :) That one is just the most common.

#3 mark tomlinson, Mar 27, 2018
  4. austin campbell

it happens immediately when i start the print so no time for ramping or anything
    and what do you mean by RAMPS board?

and have school so sorry if i take some time to respond

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The electronics that drive the R1 consists of an Arduino Mega 2560 CPU board and a RAMPS 1.4 shield.

http://reprap.org/wiki/RAMPS_1.4

They are mounted underneath the computer.

It is normal for the "Temperature fell too much during print!" error to occur when the autoleveling is done since it is moving around a good bit, still a problem with thermistor or wiring or electronics :)

6. austin campbell

It happens before the auto leveling then if I click ok it continues till right before it would normally of started printing

7. austin campbell

what i dont get is that the thermistor is still reading and returning a accurate value with no drop in tempature. i was getting a drop in tempature error recently (hours before this issue) because i added another cooling fan but i adjusted the flow on the other fan and got to hold at 210 (my printing temp)and it was just fine ,then after i put the hot end assembly back in the printer it started calling the generic m999 error so i figured id messed up the wires on the thermistor (both thermistors were brand new ) so i swapped it and am still getting the error, ill double check the connections and reset my setting and let you know if anything changes (when,if ,or type of error changes )

thanks for advice

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Again, if it is a loose connection the temperature will drop suddenly when moving about (NTC == negative temperature coefficient so high resistance like an open-circuit is a really low temperature) and it will then recover just as quickly. You will NOT see this spike in the user interface of your printing program normally because it is so quick and intermittent, but the firmware will see it :)

9. austin campbell

would it show up in the gcode ?

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It should show in the GCode terminal window. That has the communications between the software and the printer.
    The bummer is that errors only get shown once when they first occur then Marlin goes stupid and repeats the warning that an error occurred (without bothering to repeat the actual error msg)

I am sure this is because Marlin sets a global error flag and then just loops over that until it is cleared, but that is a cheesy way to do it.

11. austin campbell

so not sure what happened but it works now... thanks for the help and quick support

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.