1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Has any one tried sainsmart TPU?

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by jtn7040, Jun 22, 2015.

1. jtn7040

jtn7040 Active Member

SainSmart Flexible TPU 3D Printers Filament, 1.75mm,1kg/2.2lbs (Grey) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TI3JUU6/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_UjdIvbRWBPZQKUjdIvbRWBPZQK

Been looking at this stuff because its a little cheaper than ninjaflex. And also I've seen I need to make modifications to print ninjaflex (brass tube). Has anyone tried this stuff or has anyone figured a way to print ninjaflex without using the brass tube insert?

edit: Also I am on stock R1 with hexagon hotend if that would matter for the brass tube fix.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I use a PTFE tube, but no... no luck without it.

3. jtn7040

jtn7040 Active Member

I've seen the ninjaflex thread where everyone was using the brass tube is the PTFE tube a better solution?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Same exact thing, I use use a PTFE tube with a notch for the hobbed bolt rather than brass.
    Runs from just above the hobbed bolt to the extruder coldend. Works fine as long as you print slow and avoid retraction.

5. jtn7040

jtn7040 Active Member

Hmm I'll have to try this I think microcenter sells genereic PTFE tubes. Or did you use a very specific one? Also this notch in the tube I guess I'm having a hard time picturing where it would be to still feed the filament do you happen to have a picture of it? I've ordered some of their TPU and the bronze material I'll let everyone knows how it goes when it arrives

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Turns out that it was (old) PTFE I was using.

8. jtn7040

jtn7040 Active Member

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You leave everything else the same. You still need the springs to apply pressure to get the filament into the HOBB.
    That is why the notch is there so that the hobb can still reach the filament and push it down the tube.

10. Mike C

Mike C New Member

I was going to use PTFE from a bowden tube but it was too thick for the plastic filament guide on the extruder and did not mate well with the top of the cold end. The plastic pen tube is they way to go once you get the ink out w acetone (hardest part!) I've been pretty succesful with orange Sains Smart TPU at 220C bed at 40C, 30mm/s and retraction off. I just copied the high PLA profile in matter control and and adjusted those metrics.

11. Mike C

Mike C New Member

Also, an easy way to determine where to notch the tube is put it in against the top of the cold end and run one extrusion and it will mark the tube where you need to cut the notch (just don't get filings in the extruder or it might jam later)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  12. frank r

frank r New Member

I have some, and its a pain to print with. Slowness is key. I printed a vacuum belt that turned out great, but struggled and gave up the next time i used it.

13. Mike C

Mike C New Member

Works great. Just print at 30mm sec max w no retract. I have had great success.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  14. frank r

frank r New Member

Thanks for the pointers. I was printing around 30mm/sec, but didn't disable retraction. I also needed to boost up my flow some to get consistent lines. I ended up printing this last night, and it came out great!
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:770664

IMG_6520.jpg