1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Has anyone returned their printer?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Oisin, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Oisin

Oisin Member

Hi guys. I was wondering if anyone has been lucky enough to have Robo3D accept a return for a faulty product. I've been emailing them and I kept getting fobbed off with replacement parts (which were also faulty and didn't solve the issue).

Out of 450 euros worth of filament, which is 20 100m reels of filament, I got 0 prints. None. Every single one of them failed due to:

The layers being offset (not even a little, by about 15mm per layer),
    The hobbled bolt eating the filament,
    The element catching on fire,
    The extruder jamming,
    The extruder falling apart,
    The printer ignoring z-offset commands and grinding against the glass,
    The cooling fans broke off and countless other errors.

Once, I managed to get three layers down and despite that being a success, the print quality was terrible. Maybe this is what consumer printers are supposed to be like? But it sure was not worth 800 euro plus all the filament and electricity costs.

Do you know of any way to get them to take it back? I have owned the printer for about 4 or 5 months but I've been trying to get them to take it back almost since a few weeks after I got it.

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Just out of curiosity how do you manage to print that much filament without trying stopping prints to try and fix the issues?

3. Oisin

Oisin Member

I did. That's how much filament I used in trying to fix issues. I didn't just leave it running and making a mess or anything. I only listed a handful of problems I've had with the printer.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I'm just really confused how you could manage to print that much filament in this short of a time. I've probably not come close to that much filament in over a year and a half and I print a decent amount.

5. Oisin

Oisin Member

I've had no trouble with printing that amount. I guess the cost of it is what has annoyed me most of all. Having paid so much for a non-functional device and then paying even more to find out if that non-functional device is still non-functional. I work on the printer for a good few hours most days of the week to try to get it sorted. It feels like if you were in a leaking boat and every time you patch a hole, two more open up.

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I'm pretty lost here. I guess you're not really interested in getting it working, so good luck. I'm sure we can get your boat patched up if you want to make a thread in the troubleshooting forum.

7. Oisin

Oisin Member

I actually had a good few posts here a couple of months ago under a different username but I had to make a new account because I forgot all of my login details. I'm sure you have more knowledge than I do about this sort of thing.

Maybe you could confirm something for me: Is this printer supposed to output high quality prints? As is, can it do things with overhangs or bridging or what have you and should the prints look good? I don't know what to expect from it but surely 0 successful prints in 5 months isn't the best of its potential.

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I've seen amazing prints from stock printers. It can do overhangs and bridging with correct slicing and model files.

I always encourage people to start with basic calibration devices to get going.

9. Oisin

Oisin Member

Ok. I might try to start a thread in the troubleshooting forum as you suggested. Hopefully the sheer number of issues won't be off-putting. I might do it one issue at a time.

Should the printer be able to print for a couple of hours with no error? Or is an error to be expected over a certain print time?

Also, could you recommend a good extruder? Or does it not matter? The replacement one I got from Robo3D seems to clog a lot, was severely chewed up by screw threads when I got it, the fan was broken and the rubber head snapped in half on the first print, meaning the thermistor fell away from the print head.

I'm not sure what to look for with regard to nozzle diameter, barrel shape or even which will fit the printer (maybe they're universal).

10. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

E3Dv6 works wonders. I have only had a clog due to my own error of not checking the offset when I started the print and it was to low so it clogged. Just start a thread in troubleshooting (one thing at a time) and we will help you out.

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I also talked with Jerry about this and he's looking to help you out. Try scheduling a 1 on 1.

If you do make a thread be sure to post lots of pictures.

12. Oisin

Oisin Member

I will. Thanks very much for replying so quickly. Sorry for my frustration. It's just a pretty expensive item to give this much trouble.

13. Oisin

Oisin Member

Hi. Thanks for the advice. I'll look in to picking one up.

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

3D printers aren't easy and once an issue comes about if you don't nip it in the butt right away it can escalate quickly.

we'll get you there, just try and stay calm and patient :)

15. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer