1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Have you heard of CraftBot ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by tonycstech, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Paul Yeh

Paul Yeh Active Member

@Peter,
    I have an old Robo R1 with slider rail heated bed version (March 2014 delivery). The Robo 3D forum is great and has many great contributors who can help other users. Had upgraded quite a few things too. It was printing ok, but not quite great.

I have spent more than $1000 (printer plus other upgrades) and now my controller board died a few weeks ago. I ordered a replacement board but had not replaced it yet.

I believe that you were one of the very few users who were fortunate to receive good quality Robo 3D printers out of the box. I saw your prints and they look fantastic.

I like the design and build of the CraftBot. The design and build quality look superior to Robo 3D. And if it can print as good as the link on the last post, then it'll be way better than my old Robo 3D printer.

Another thing, why would anyone want to own two same printers when they can own different printers? I see other users here either bought or built other printers and they seem to like the other printers as well. :)

2. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

All the power to you. I believe it to be better to own the same make since you have interchangeable parts, the only way I am going to buy a different printer is if it's bigger. That is the main reason I got the Robo3D printer: build volume.

Ive learned a lot and I have to say, most of people's issues were levelling and printer setup with loose bolts. Once they sorted that, it got them printing. Some panicked and opted for upgrading parts. Some might have been warranted but i was able to get it to work by understanding what problem I had and worked a solution.

I got mine March as well, ordered in Dec 2013 as one of the first online when they went live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in Canada

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

When I get another it will be a different brand/model, but probably a different type as well.
    I am looking closely at some of the newer ones, there are some SLS ones out there now at less stupid prices.
    For what I wanted to do with it the Robo is fine (after upgrades and a lot of tweaking). The newer models have potential to need a lot less tweaking/upgrading if they can stabilize the quality.

#23 mark tomlinson, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2014
  4. Peter Krska

That SLA printer is that the one with the liquid filled tank?

That sound too expensive material wise. And the cleanup? Well, it's not like it takes minutes!

I hope the later models still have the Easyline accessible electronics for easy fixing. Some are enclosed and look like they are a lot harder to fix. Go for the simple and kiss mentality and it will be fixable if issues arise.

One thing that bothers me is the tech support and getting replacement parts. It's been 2 months now trying to get a replacement, and it's still not confirmed if they are sending it or not. Waiting for a reply. I endured 2 vacations that the Ribo3D team went on and when they came back, they had other priorities. Does not make for a good relationship. They have my money already and the parts I need they only seem to have.

5. Paul Yeh

Paul Yeh Active Member

I agree with you on Robo3D tech support, responses, and quality control, almost non-existent.

It's the main reason I'm looking at their competitors.

6. Peter Krska

I would be interested in a comparison print from whom ever you choose. Please post if you can.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No SLS uses powered metal to build with (mostly, there are alternatives) and welds it together with a laser.
    Problem is that until recently most of them were really (really) expensive, but I am seeing some now that are starting to get reasonable.
    The build area is not as good as the Robo (but I rarely need all of that space, I tend to build smaller parts and assemble).

#27 mark tomlinson, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2014
  8. Peter Krska

What about the peachy printer?

9. Paul Yeh

Paul Yeh Active Member

I looked at Peachy printer. Print quality is not that great, but it's cheap.

I think LittleRP is much better and more expensive than Peachy, but it's still relatively cheap for that type of printer.

10. Paul Yeh

Paul Yeh Active Member

2 people like this.
  11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Thanks, I typo'ed SLS to SLA :) FIxed.

12. Paul Yeh

Paul Yeh Active Member

13. Paul Yeh

Paul Yeh Active Member

14. Paul Yeh

Paul Yeh Active Member

15. Paul Yeh

Paul Yeh Active Member

16. Paul Yeh

Paul Yeh Active Member

FYI, one of the VIP backers did a video on unboxing of his CraftBot. He mentioned that he also owns a Replicator 2 as well.