1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Heated bed not heating?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Tim W, Jul 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

Hey Tim,

I came up with that z-stop mod because the way the stock setup came. It was just difficult to get the z height adjusted and dialed in. On top of that, the limit switch sits on an arm that is movable. If you hit the arm enough eventually its gonna move and throw your z height off again. You may not need it at the moment. It is definitely not required but I recommend it in the long run for reliable no fuss consistent prints.

This goes along with a fully leveled build surface. If you don't have a level build surface. Specifically the abs model. You will have a hard time getting that first layer to stick or come out right. My robo was not level out of the box, wiring was a mess, (by the way everyone needs to check the wiring when they get their machine, some of mine were loose or not seated correctly) hence all my changes to improve the machine. You can find them all in the mods section.

I did all these mods before I started using the printer because I knew these would be problem areas later on. I've built a couple of printers so I kinda knew what needed to be changed.

My printer has been printing reliably and consistently since I made these changes. I've not had a single problem with my printer.

another note: I highly recommend calibrating your hotend and heatbed temps before you start printing anything.

2. Deadwood

Deadwood Active Member

Whats the difference between the blue masking tape and the normal off white stuff ?

3. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

Most people use 3M #2090 blue painters tape. The reason being is that the texture of it creates a good surface for PLA to grip too. People have tried other tapes with some luck, but #2090 is deemed to be the best.

4. Drathus

Drathus Guest

The adhesive from painter's tape is also designed to be a lower-tack, so it will remove cleaner from the bed. Which saves time in maintenance.

Though from the responses to how well the PVA glue method has been working for people with PLA I might forego tape completely, which would be nice.

5. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

You should also look into the hairspray it is about 1% as messy and clean up is even better than that.

Light mist of hair spray on glass dries normally before the extruder can heat up(usually with 15-20 sec print away.
    Never had a print lift or not stick when I had my settings correct.Make it a light mist sometimes the prints are a bit hard to remove if still warm but usually pop right off and it is almost if nothing was ever on the glass. So much easier than PVA glue.

6. Drathus

Drathus Guest

Yeah, but hairspray is probably the highest cost of the three options. =P

I'm gonna have to hit CostCo and see if I can find a suitable one there where I can get a dozen cans cheap-ish. =)

7. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

not sure of the price but the word around was aquanet and that was what I got I don;t remember it being that expensive probably less than $3 and I have used it alot and the can does not even seem to be anything but still full, so it will go a long way

8. Tim W

Tim W New Member

Thanks for the description of your mod Cambo, and the link to the other thread. Looks like a very elegant improvement to the Z-Stop. I will look into doing that once I get everything else working! Good tip on checking the wiring too, my heated bed problem (which I started this thread for!) ended up being due to a loose wire.

What exactly do you mean by calibrating the hot end and heated bed temps though? With the hotend I did the initial 230C heat before loading my first filament, and have let it preheat to the relevant temperature every time I've tried a test print. When I've tested with the heated bed I also let it preheat to the appropriate temperature before starting the job. But I'm guessing you're talking of something over and above this.

Cheers
    Tim

9. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hey Tim, I would wait before trying to "Calibrate" the hotend or rather anything, till you have your printer up and running. I will follow up now on your PM.
    - H

10. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

Calibrating the temperature is the process of taking the rephost measured temperature and comparing those to actual measured values from an attached thermocouple meter.

When you calibrate this temperature, your are determining what your actual print temperatures are. Rephost is only accurate by what is programmed into the temperature table of the thermistor. Those temps can be off if not checked. I've seen hot ends melt and machines catch on fire, because user assumed that the temperature in rephost was accurate. When in reality they were way off. All it takes is a +10 degree off temperature can cause a hot end meltdown.

This temperature check/calibration should be done prior to your first print. Why?
    1. you will know actually how hot your printing
    2. peace of mind
    3. better print quality, in the long run
    4. etc..

My temperature on my hot end is off +6c. so I adjust my temperature accordingly.
    For instance, if Rephost says hot end temp is 230c, my actual calibrated temp is 236c. (because of the +6c offset, measured by the external calibrated thermocouple meter)

I did a little write up here to you give you guys an example:
    http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/ind...nd-build-surface-temperature-calibration.848/

Now the robo machine is supposedly ready to use out of the box. To be honest, I had issues to work out before I could use it. I'm glad I inspected it before use. Some of the stuff I changed were optional some were definitely needed. On the software side, im sure their pre-configured settings are fine and you will not see any meltdowns. BUT........
    I REALLY RECOMMEND CHECKING YOUR TEMPERATURES BEFORE YOUR INITIAL PRINT. It is the best time to do it because once you run filament through your nozzle, it will be difficult to get it out. If you want to measure the inside nozzle temperature later.

my temps were only off 6c but what if yours were off +10c, +20c etc... you can imagine what could happen. If your not around watching it. Some companies go as far as, making the consumer sign a waiver that states, they are not responsible for damages from a 3d printer that they built and sold to you. Its that serious.

Since your setting it up for the first time. This extra step only takes about 15min of your time, doesn't effect operation of your printer. An Extra step for little peace of mind is well worth it in my opinion and will aid in troubleshooting issues down the road.

11. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hey Tim, as said earlier, I really don't recommend doing anything to the printer until you can have a full print and your'e used to the printer. I have never done this and am printing 100% fine.

12. Tim W

Tim W New Member

Thanks for the detailed description Cambo. Does sound like it would be useful to know how accurate the reported temperature is, although I am lacking the tools at the moment to make these calibration tests. Will definitely do this as soon as I can afford a decent digital thermometer with thermocouple.

Haven't had a chance to look at Robo last couple of days, I've had some time off for the kid's school holidays but now they're over I'm struggling to find time to tinker in between work and everything else! But my current priority is still to get a test print happening when I get back to it, as this will really motivate me for these other improvements!

Cheers
    Tim

13. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

Pm me anytime you need help!

14. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hey Tim sounds good. I'm going to respond to that PM you had sent me yesterday that I read and forgot to respond to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.